Water pressure/ flow question

/ Water pressure/ flow question #1  

LittleBittyBigJohn

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 1025R, Spartan SRT-XD 72" zero turn
I'm almost done getting the must-do's complete after moving into my new construction home. The water service to the house was a mix of me doing it myself and the plumbers tying into it. I have a 3/4" meter directly into a 3/4" regulator being serviced by a main that according to the water department runs typically 100 to 120 PSI. From there I ran 1-1/4 sch 40 PVC out to the house site ~450 feet. I put in a frost free hydrant for temp water while the house was being built. Had lots and lots of pressure.

The plumbers tied into it with, I think, 3/4 pex into another regulator. I have decent flow inside but it is a little lacking. The place I notice it the most is the hose bibs on the outside of the house. They are frost free ones and there is crap for pressure outside. I just really noticed it since I am finally to the point of cleaning sidewalks, driveways etc. I'm thinking there is some bad juju having 2 regulators in line. The one on the house is maxed out on adjustment. I'm wondering if I should remove the one at the road or the one at the house and if that should correct the problem.

/ Water pressure/ flow question #2  
I can't think why you need or want two regulators in line, unless the city regulator only drops the pressure to 80psi or so. I also wonder if it is possible that the regulator in the house is installed backwards, or won't get you 40-60psi in the house. Have you checked the pressure in the house and at the hose bib? Pressure does not equal flow, but it is a start. Some frost free bibs aren't particularly high flow.

I'd get the plumbers back out, after checking the pressure is up to snuff.

All the best,

Peter

/ Water pressure/ flow question #3  
I agree, why two regulators? Check the pressure, you should be able to crank up the regulators, or eliminate them.
They may have plumbed outside sill cocks in 1/2", not great for flow.

/ Water pressure/ flow question
I was also stumped that they put another regulator in line. Is it better to keep the one at the road or the one at the house. The one at the house is easier to get to and I wouldn't have to worry about my service line if I keep the one at the road.

/ Water pressure/ flow question #5  
Check codes for placement of the regulator, and who owns it.
As you stated, at the house is easier to service, at the street protects the line. Is there any elevation difference from the street to the house?

/ Water pressure/ flow question
I'm good on code and I own both regulators. I would guess 10' or less rise over about a 425' run.

/ Water pressure/ flow question #7  
1-1/4" line sounds about right for a 450' run. And given good pressure/flow at frost free hydrant confirms that.

My first concern is 3/4" then feeding the WHOLE house from that point on. But even that alone shouldnt cause any issues IF no one else is using water at the time you are trying to use the outside water.

What you didnt say was how the house is plumbed inside.

You have a 1-1/4" reduced to 3/4" for main service. But within the house itself...did they drop to 1/2" pex....and maybe even 3/8" pex branches to feed the outside?

I am unfamiliar with water pressure regulators, as we dont use them here. Our water mains typically run 60-70psi at the meter. All we have is a meter out by the road. Line comes into an expansion tank and thats it.

Can you take a pic of your outside hose bibs. Cause I agree, there are some cheapie ones that just suck too

/ Water pressure/ flow question #8  
I always specified schedule 80 PVC for pressure feed sides of runs. I used Schedule 40 only for unpressurized drains. I’ve seen way too many schedule 40 pvc pipes crack, to even consider using it on a pressurized line.

/ Water pressure/ flow question #9  
I always specified schedule 80 PVC for pressure feed sides of runs. I used Schedule 40 only for unpressurized drains. I’ve seen way too many schedule 40 pvc pipes crack, to even consider using it on a pressurized line.
Personally, I prefer going to continuous tubing for long runs as there are fewer couplings and it is more tolerant of soil settling. Digging up pipe to repair failing couplings gets old fast in my book.

@LittleBittyBigJohn like @LD1 I do wonder how the 1 1/4 was handled in the house. Might it be possible to feed the outside house bibs from before the house regulator for better outside pressure?

All the best,

Peter

/ Water pressure/ flow question #10  
Are their strainers you can check?

Water company did a major line replacement in the area...

I soon noticed the improved line was actually less flow to me...

Turns out my regulator strainer was full of small ribbons of blue plastic... the kind from squaring up the ends of the blue plastic water pipe before heat welding.

Cleaned the strainer once and no more problem.