Watering tanks

/ Watering tanks #1  

dj1701

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4320, Kubota BX2680
I picked up this pillow tank for use in watering around the yard. (don't like dragging a hose) I am not impressed with it. Any ideas on a better setup?

Thanks
Dave

20230618_125901.jpg

/ Watering tanks #2  
Put a part of sheet of smooth plywood on the bag and add a cinder block?

I use 55 gallon drums with a 12v pump (Sure-flow/northern tool). I'm not that patient.

All the best,

Peter

/ Watering tanks #3  
Gravity flow from a height of about 3 feet would be about 1 1/2 PSI.

Bruce

/ Watering tanks #4  
As mentioned, putting some weights on it will increase pressure, and the resultant flow rate. Also, for the hose section, keep it as short as possible and use as large of diameter of hose as possible to decrease flow friction and increase flow rate.

/ Watering tanks
What kind of pumps are the best for watering plants? Diaphragm or centrifugal? I would like enough flow and pressure to work with a watering wand.

Thanks
Dave

/ Watering tanks #8  
Back ordered 'til November... I've thought about using something else, but I don't have a UTV to use.

I've just been using a bunch of hoses (like 6), to water the newly planted bushes along my 300' drive.

Standing and watering (and some hose dragging) in the early evening works fine for me. The deer seem to wonder what the heck I'm doing...

/ Watering tanks #9  
There are a variety of 12v on demand pumps listed on Amazon to choose from. I used one to make a portable herbicide sprayer along with a buck converter to use my Dewalt batteries to power the pump. Since the parts I used are no longer available, no point in posting the links, but will say these things worked pretty well and inexpensively for making a portable sprayer with a 5 gallon bucket to spray kudzu where needed instead of having to drag hoses. I just mounted the pump and the buck battery converter to the lid on the bucket with rivets.

I think that focusing on GPM will be most of what you want to consider for watering plants unless you need to shoot a stream of water a long distance for some particular reason.

Last edited:
   / Watering tanks #10  
Go to your farm store and buy any gallon size tank, trough, bucket you want. Screw a garden hose onto a 12 volt bilge pump from a boat and you will get about the same volume and slightly less pressure than your house spigot.