Watering tanks

/ Watering tanks #11  
for the hose section, keep it as short as possible and use as large of diameter of hose as possible to decrease flow friction and increase flow rate.
It sounds like the OP has a different plan. However, I have to respectfully disagree with part of this statement. Just like coasting down a hill, water will gain velocity as it flows a longer distance. I have run short (25') lengths of soaker hose using a gravity feed system. My current plan is to run 75' of 1' into 100 feet of 3/4 inch, then into my 5/8 inch garden hose. Not this year though. It won't warm up long enough for anything to grow. We might get 2 days of sun, then we get socked in with clouds and showers for a few more days.

/ Watering tanks #12  
It sounds like the OP has a different plan. However, I have to respectfully disagree with part of this statement. Just like coasting down a hill, water will gain velocity as it flows a longer distance. I have run short (25') lengths of soaker hose using a gravity feed system. My current plan is to run 75' of 1' into 100 feet of 3/4 inch, then into my 5/8 inch garden hose. Not this year though. It won't warm up long enough for anything to grow. We might get 2 days of sun, then we get socked in with clouds and showers for a few more days.
Water doesn't gain velocity as it flows a longer distance. Water velocity is a function of the pressure "head", which is the elevation distance from the top surface of the water in the tank to the outlet, minus the "losses" (i.e., friction) in the system.

So, if by having a longer hose you can carry it further down a hill, thereby increasing the pressure head, then yes, you will get higher velocity as long as the drop in elevation is greater than the increased friction due to the length of the pipe.

However, for a truck on flat ground, the pressure head remains the same. So, adding a longer hose only serves to increase friction, decreasing the velocity of water exiting the hose.

/ Watering tanks #13  
^^^
The thought never occurred to me that there was land so flat that you couldn't park higher than the garden.
I should have said "water will gain velocity as it flows a longer distance downhill."
Then again, I am thinking about trying the bilge pump suggestion. It would be a lot easier than dealing with a couple of hundred feet of water line.

/ Watering tanks #14  
This is the pump I use. It's rated for up to 48 gpm but your actual flow is limited by the water supply and hose restrictions. I have a 300 gallon tank with a 1.5" opening but is reduced down to a 1" inlet to the pump. The discharge side is a 3/4" hose to it is inlikely that I can draw 48 gpm. I run my John Deere 2038R at about 1800 rpm and it take about 15 minutes to empty the tank so that works about to 20 gpm.

Its a Ferroni MLI-25 pump.

1687859670588.png

/ Watering tanks #15  
1000L Totes work well for me. I can use a 2" water pump to refill. Also doubles as my rain barrels.

/ Watering tanks #16  
^^^
The thought never occurred to me that there was land so flat that you couldn't park higher than the garden.
I should have said "water will gain velocity as it flows a longer distance downhill."
Then again, I am thinking about trying the bilge pump suggestion. It would be a lot easier than dealing with a couple of hundred feet of water line.
"The thought never occured to me that there was land so flat that you couldn't park higher than the garden."

Never been to the Midwest, huh? :)

/ Watering tanks #17  
Never been to the Midwest, huh?
That's correct. :D

However, when I see pictures of people out there working their soil I can understand why everyone abandoned their New England farms to head west 150 years ago.
I wouldn't know how to plant without picking rocks first.

/ Watering tanks
This was all set to go and the fitting to the pump broke before I could try it. Damn Chinese POS stuff.
20230627_140933.jpg

/ Watering tanks #19  
Looks like poly pipe...

If I could make a suggestion, I'd suggest getting some radiator hose from the auto parts store because it won't stress those fittings like poly pipe. I'd do away with the long galvanized pipe and come out of the tank with the water shutoff to the pump which I'd relocate to the right side so there's a more direct run from the tank to the pump. If there isn't enough clearance for reusing the shutoff valve in this position at the tank, substitute an elbow along with a metal ball valve. The ball valve will allow better water flow than a spigot style shutoff.

/ Watering tanks
Looks like poly pipe...

If I could make a suggestion, I'd suggest getting some radiator hose from the auto parts store because it won't stress those fittings like poly pipe. I'd do away with the long galvanized pipe and come out of the tank with the water shutoff to the pump which I'd relocate to the right side so there's a more direct run from the tank to the pump. If there isn't enough clearance for reusing the shutoff valve in this position at the tank, substitute an elbow along with a metal ball valve. The ball valve will allow better water flow than a spigot style shutoff.
I ain't spending no more money. If it works, it works. All I want to do is water the garden.