Watermeal IT'S BACK

/ Watermeal IT'S BACK #1  

PineRidge

Tractor
TC-40D SS New Holland
Watermeal IT\'S BACK

Had a real good case of watermeal in the pond last season and it's starting to rear its ugly head again. I've been dosing it with herbicides. And I've been using a sieve to collect it when the wind blows it to the shore line but it's gaining momentum. I read that a pond bubbler, or air-stone (not a pond fountain) helps to control the stuff since it likes calm water to multiply. Anyone have any experience controlling this crud?

/ Watermeal IT'S BACK #2  
Re: Watermeal IT\'S BACK

From the Ohio state extension webpage.........

Bubble aeration uses a compressor on shore that blows air through a plastic tube to a diffuser located near the bottom in the deepest area of the pond. The bubbles leaving the diffuser hydrologically lift bottom waters to the surface. This sets up a circulation pattern that prevents pond stratification and inhibits formation of black, bottom sediments. A reduction of decomposed organic matter along the bottom results in less duckweed and watermeal. Additionally, pond circulation improves rapid uptake of nutrients by the planktonic food chain, leaving less nutrients for duckweeds. Combining bubble aeration with nutrient reduction can alleviate a duckweed or watermeal problem.

Not all aeration systems are created equal. Fountains and surface agitators do not typically prevent stratification and as such, do little to prevent build-up of organic debris or efficient use of nutrients in the pond's food chain for fish. It is not uncommon to see duckweed problems in ponds with these types of surface aerators.

More here.. web page

/ Watermeal IT'S BACK #3  

Sonar is the best chemical to use on watermeal or duckweed. You can spray it repetitively with diquat (Reward) and beat it back, but Sonar is a lot easier and more effective. Anything but cheap though. If your pond is relatively small, it isn't too bad. You need to calculate pond area and average depth to determine how much Sonar to use. If you have a lot of flow-through, it's difficult to maintain the concentration of Sonar in your pond.

/ Watermeal IT'S BACK #4  

Mike,

I purchased a product from the Aquacide Company many years ago and have been on their mailng list ever since.

They carry 'Sonar' and fishman is right....very expensive. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

But they say a little goes a long way. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

http://www.killlakeweeds.com/shop.cfm?groupid=SONAR%20Granular%20%26%20Liquid

Don

/ Watermeal IT'S BACK

Think at this point we're going to try the aeration gig and see what kind of results if any that we see. If that doesn't cut it Sonar is next in line.

Thanks for the tips guys.