Way to start off the week

/ Way to start off the week #1  

looch

Veteran Member
Tractor
B2601
So I get up this morning and put out my dogs - yikes! -35C. I go to start the car (diesel Jetta) that's been plugged in all night - no way. B7500 to the rescue. It complained a little but it fired up. I let sit at around 1200 RPM while I took a shower and got ready to go to work. I went back outside and after slowly operating the treadal a few times, I moved it out of the garage and parked it next to my unwilling car. I hooked up my booster cables and got the Jetta running. I went back into the garage to grab the air hose to pump up a tire on the car (slow leak). I noticed a little puddle of hydraulic fluid on the floor. I've heard that when it's this cold, seals may leak until things warm up. A little disturbed by that, I pumped up the tire on my car. I then hear the Kubota (which is still running) starting to miss a little bit. 2 minutes later, it dies - air in the fuel line. By this time I'm about 15 minutes late. I decide to yank the key out and - for security reasons - engage the PTO. The tractor stayed in the yard the whole day. I got home tonight and tried to start it to put it back in the garage - no dice. I guess I'll be springing for one of those handy-dandy magnetic block heaters tomorrow.

Why do I live up here again?

/ Way to start off the week #2  
Looch, maybe it's because you don't like large insects, snakes and air to hot to breath during the dog days of Southern summers. The things I have to put up with for year round no frozen ground, beautiful tractor days.

/ Way to start off the week #3  
Don't understand how you would get air in the fuel line. Are you sure that it didn't run out of fuel? If the tank is full, then there is no way to get air in the fuel line unless you have a fitting that is drawing it in because it is loose. As for the heater, install the threaded block heater, because the magnetic ones really aren't that efficient. You are trying to heat cast iron and then heat the coolant. The block heater heats the coolant first and then the cast iron. Much more efficient..
By the way, how do you get the dogs to go out in the cold like that? Mine won't even get off the deck and do it on top of the snow on the deck. Glad that I can clean up with a snow shovel.

/ Way to start off the week #4  
Sounds like one of those days one needs to have an appreciation blog. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It could have been worse, much worse.

Instead of being late for work you could have been held up taking your mother in law to the airport. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Way to start off the week
Good one, Harv.

Junkman, when it gets really, really cold something happens with fuel. Exactly what that something is, I'm not 100% sure. What I can say is that on my Jetta (which has clear fuel lines) when it's this cold, and if I haven't added any fuel conditioner, I see little bubbles in my fuel lines. The engine does not appreciate this interruption in fuel delivery. I am assuming this is what was going on with my tractor.

/ Way to start off the week #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( when it gets really, really cold something happens with fuel. Exactly what that something is, I'm not 100% sure. )</font>
Not to sound like a smart A$$, but are you sure your not reffering to gelling ?

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I see little bubbles in my fuel lines )</font>
Could these (bubbles) actually be wax crystals that have formed due to the cold ? And not air bubbles.

I would think and expect that if the fuel gelled to the point where it isn't going to flow, then your tractor is going to shut down for lack of fuel.

/ Way to start off the week #7  
ARE GELLEN? I know lowsy joke and stuped mercial but
I FOUND IT FUNNY.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
My pardner in upstate NY was telling me BOUT GELLEN /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Smiled and told him NEVER SEEN IT....Doesn't stay cold enough that long downheeeear....in bama /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Beside if it did we'd all stay home cause the roads would prob be closed... NO PLOWS /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif NO SALT /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Just long HOT SUMMERS often hot and humid enought to suffucate you before you get from the CASA to the CAR... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Way to start off the week #8  
#2 diesel fuel will "jell " when its gets that cold. The BEST way to keep that from happening is to use #1 blended diesel. This blended fuel is avalable at the truck stops up there this time of the year. It is quite expensive, but it wont freeze and it will provide the injectors and fuel pump with all the lubrication it needs.
There are fuell suppliments you can add to the fuell for a lot less money...BUT many of them will reduce the amount of lubrication in the fuell and that can lead to some very expensive repares. futhermore some manufactors will void the warrenty because of the use of some of these products. And yes, you CAN tell when you have used these products.
Boy howdy, I'm sure glad my trucking days are over up there. I don't miss the bad - cold. I don't see how you people up there can survive in that kind of tempertures.
Block heaters are a good thing, just get one that heats the water or oil, not the metal. Keep all water out of your fuel. That means ALL WATER.

/ Way to start off the week
Mark,

Gelling sounds like a reasonable definition of my problem.

Virgil,

As far as I know, all service stations switch diesel fuel up here around November. I do use additives in my car and I know they can damage the fuel pump because of a lack of lubrication. Not that I've ever done this as I'm sure it would violate certain pollution laws, but I've heard that a litre of diesel engine oil in the fuel tank at every other fill up can work wonders.