We Need A Mower -- Spend Our Money

/ We Need A Mower -- Spend Our Money
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( We just purchased a Kioti CK20HST and added a 48" bush hog to it )</font>

Man, when I said, "Spend our money," I didn't know what I was getting into. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I priced the CK20HST at around $10K by itself, and Moss's PT-425 at $9.5K with mower. The Power Trac lady talked me out of the two cheaper "homeowner" models right quick. Robin engines, ugh.

I've got to admit, I do like the Power Trac's articulation, 4WD, and BIG front wheels. The small fronts on ZTR's are a bit of a concern. I wish someone made a big wheeled ZTR.

Anyway, this is beginning to look a little more complicated and expensive than I had hoped. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Oh well, life wouldn't be fun if it was too easy.

Thanks for the input folks; more is welcome.

SnowRidge

/ We Need A Mower -- Spend Our Money #12  
If you need a ZTR for rough terrain you might want to look at the Ferris ZTR. They can be had in either two or four wheel independent suspension and with either a gas or diesel engine. I was very close too buying one of these myself before I decided that a CUT better fit my needs. Good luck.

/ We Need A Mower -- Spend Our Money #13  
I don't have a Ferris, but a buddy of mine does, I have a TSC cheapie. Anyway, I borrowed his Ferris for a trial run and the Ferris has an actual suspension . It isolates the operator from bumps and I had a few mole hills which are nasty on my TSC cheapie. The Ferris rode right over them and didn't even spill my beer in the cupholder. Nice machine. Had a Kohler engine and was built like a tank. I don't know what he paid for it, but I'm sure it wasn't cheap.

/ We Need A Mower -- Spend Our Money #14  
Lets see...I am spending your money....well, gee, thats a no brainer. The machine would have to be "green", of course! A John Deere 757 ZTR is what I have. Great commercial mower, 25HP, 60" deck, and the deck creates a high vacuum. Go with the luxury seat and the wider back tires. Paid 8K for mine last year. Exmark is a good machine, also, but in my area of TN, the Exmarks servicing dealer sucks. Kabuta makes a ZTR, but they have a high Rollbar on it. Skag is another good brand. Make sure the deck is well designed and built. Another good thing to look for is: grease zerts on the blade spindles. Exmark has sealed bearings. Cant grease them. They wear out in about 2 years. Deere has the grease zerts. I like that option, as I know for a fact the bearings are getting greased on a weekly basis. You might look at some of the walk behind commercial mowers. I have a Deere HD45 hydro drive. Very good mower, easy to maintain, and I added a sulky to it. So I can ride with the walk behind, now. Last option is you could hire me to come mow, since I am spending your money!!!!! Happy hunting

"Another good thing to look for is: grease zerts on the blade spindles. Exmark has sealed bearings. Cant grease them. They wear out in about 2 years. Deere has the grease zerts. I like that option, as I know for a fact the bearings are getting greased on a weekly basis."

Just to let you know, most of the spindle bearings are now sealed, I believe like 80 % or so? What many of the manufacturers do is install the zerk fitting anyway, because they got tired of having to answer so many of us questioning them about it. It became easier to just install a zerk so that we users could feel like we are actually greasing the bearings, because we know that's what's supposed to happen. I learned this while working for a mower parts supplier for a while. Couldn't believe it.

Anyway, I have a Wright Stander, great company, great machines. But as the theme of this thread has shown, with the rough terrain you are dealing with, most of the normal commercial lawn mowers designed for manicured lawns are probably not what you want to use there. That Ferris machine sounds like it might be a good option with that suspension set up. There are mowers more suited for the rougher terrain you are talking about, yet still friendly to operate. Unfortunately I can't think of the models right now because I don't use them. Toro makes one that most of the parks departments, schools etc around here use, and lots of those properties are real rough & low maintenance. Front casters are pretty heavy duty & large & the rear has a single wheel to give them zero turn capabilities. Maybe they're called a ZMaster?? Anyway look at what the state, county, parks, schools etc. are using in your area & try those out.

Moss, looking at the web site photos of the PT finish mower, it looks like it pivots on its mounts in both directions. Is that accurate? Also, I seem to recall reading a thread where you weren't happy about the plasticy rear wheels and wanted to replace them. Any progress on that front?

How about general running around the property? Do PT owners use their machines for that--ATV like?

SnowRidge

/ We Need A Mower -- Spend Our Money #17  
<font color="blue"> looking at the web site photos of the PT finish mower, it looks like it pivots on its mounts in both directions. Is that accurate? Also, I seem to recall reading a thread where you weren't happy about the plasticy rear wheels and wanted to replace them. Any progress on that front?

How about general running around the property? Do PT owners use their machines for that--ATV like?
</font>

Yes, the mower can tip forward or backwards and it can roll left or right. That, coupled with the loader arms in the float position make it float independantly of the tractor. The plastic rear wheels will push a little groove in the lawn if you make a really tight turn at speed. I've learned to slow down or not turn so sharply when making the tightest turns. I've gotten used to them and they aren't as bad as I origianlly made out. I had more troubles with the inflatable castering front wheels going flat on the brush hog. I ended up using solid tires for hand trucks. Works great. What's really great about a front mounted mower or brush hog is you can get under things about 3 or 4 feet. Can't do that with a mid mount mower. I have lots of overhanging branches and shrubs where this feature really comes in handy.

As for ATVing around the property, well, I can't take the jumps as well as a quad runner /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif, but I do putter around the place occasionally with a shovel and a rake and use it as a big motorized wheelbarrow. And if I have a bigger project in mind, I will put on the large bucket, nest the little bucket with teeth inside that, the pallet forks inside that and a few other things as well and then take off across the property.

Were you able to view the brush hog videos at my web site?

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Were you able to view the brush hog videos at my web site? )</font>

Not yet. The box I was using has out-of-date media software. I'll try later using my laptop, which is pretty well current. We have <font color="red"> WAY </font> too many computers around here.

Right now I'm off to talk to a couple of ZTR mower dealers. Everything is still open. The only thing I'm sure of is this is going to be expensive. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

SnowRidge

/ We Need A Mower -- Spend Our Money #19  
My neighbor just got a Wright Sentar and I haven't had a chance to ask him how he likes it but I did notice the seat setup - kind of like a bicycle seat. Do you find that comfortable on uneven terrain?

Well, the Mistress of the Mower just vetoed a ZTR. She prefers the Power Trac. Personally I think she just wants her own tractor. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Baring any new developments, it looks like a trip to Tazewell is in the offing.

Two tractors--who'da thunk it?

Thanks to everyone for the input. No thanks to Moss Road, who is spending much more of our money than I anticipated. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SnowRidge