We should just stop buying new products.

/ We should just stop buying new products. #31  
I've been involved with what has been called the reuse movement most of my life. I have personally refurbished well over 40 thousand home computers that got a second, and third life, cause they could be updated, or at least vectored to people that didn't need what these old state of art machines could do. But there is a war going on, that the Corps don't want you to buy anything other than what is new. And they don't care. Some one has told the Corp they make more money doing it this way, with planned out and intentional obsolescence. We have to fight this, cause having worked on the "recycling" side, there is no plan for it. We use to be able to fix things and had an entire economy for fixing things, which is being lost. It can be recovered, the special tooling shops can be refreshed, if we reject this Corp plan, that all is disposable. :)
You use old worn crap, we'll make our own purchasing decisions.

/ We should just stop buying new products. #32  
Since 1964, when I got my diver's license, I just bought once a really new car, a very fast one for the German Autobahn. For the rest I got second-, third- or fourth-hand ones. Cars are for going from A to B and losing 1/4 of their initial value in just one year is insane. In retrospect, having one that could do 175mph and then, when possible, doing that triples the insanity.

/ We should just stop buying new products. #33  
You use old worn crap, we'll make our own purchasing decisions.
It seems that money comes too easily for you but that appreciation of other people and polite manners are in short supply. How far are you removed from reality?

Last edited:
   / We should just stop buying new products. #35  
Just another observation, this seems to be a problem with electronics and appliances. Tractors, cars, and trucks seem to get repaired and not thrown out as easily.

Not with cars and trucks. That's the industry I'm in. We are totaling more and more cars because either software won't allow repair shops to calibrate or reset computers, or manufacturers won't sell small parts without buying more expensive large parts to include with them.

Radars for example. If a bracket for a radar is bent, you have to buy the $1300 radar with the bracket attatched. But then you have to have the dealer calibrate the new radar....

So why not sell the bracket for $100 and still recalibrate the old, perfectly good radar???

That do that with all sorts of sensors on cars now.

But again, to your point, electronics are often involved in that.

/ We should just stop buying new products. #36  
FIX?? that is a joke,,
My '99 Silverado is almost perfect, 3/4 ton 4WD,, snowplow package,, almost no rust,,
I could not sell it for what a paintjob would cost. It is scrap, putting $$$ in it is like tossing the money out the window.

So, I have been enjoying a new one for a few years,, another snowplow prep truck.
I do not plow, I just like the added features.

L7v3SGR.jpg

If I do not buy the truck,, less people will have jobs.
and,, what are you going to do for me?? Come to my funeral, and shovel my un-spent money into the grave??

/ We should just stop buying new products. #37  
"Sometimes if you get a cheap printer on sale the ink cartridges cost as much or more than the printer." Yes, this verges on criminal behavior from many printer companies. I found a way out though, even after they put "termination" chips in the printer Cartridges, and refilling was no longer working. I buy old stock Original Carts, for about $3 each for the three HP printers we have. Peel off the clear head and contact strip, then set them print head up right, add two drops of print head cleaner solvent on the print head and let them sit for 24 hours. So far this works 90% of the time for the 5610, the 1350 and the 1210 HPs. The last two take the same 57 Color and 56 Black Carts, the stupid 5610 takes only the 22 Color Cart. but it does take the 56 Black Cart. Turn off any sort of HP update and just use the original drivers. :)
I signed up for HP instant ink. For 3.99 per month they monitor the ink levels in my printer and send me new cartridges before the others are empty. Not bad for the price. You can go online to HP instant ink and sign up.

/ We should just stop buying new products. #38  
I signed up for HP instant ink. For 3.99 per month they monitor the ink levels in my printer and send me new cartridges before the others are empty. Not bad for the price. You can go online to HP instant ink and sign up.
I need ink now, and they are trying to get me to sign up for that service. I just can't bring myself to pay for the "privelege" of them telling me when I need ink. Results may vary, I can see where it would be handy for a small business which uses their printer constantly.

/ We should just stop buying new products. #39  
Repairability of different things varies too much for me. It just doesn't apply equally to computers and tractors.

I know people who wouldn't sew a button back on a shirt, and buy nothing but new cars - who then go out and buy a used house!! What???
Those folks are about to learn repairability big time. And I bet they will love it.

Luckily for us we have this tractor forum, and there are still a lot of decent used tractors out there at prices anyone can afford. And then repaired as needed for a
fraction of the work that it would take to earn enough $$ to buy a new one.

Plus they were designed to last and be rebuilt.

I grant you it may seem strange to be mowing the pasture with an old 1955 JD "B". But replace the Ag tires with some fat turf tires , and it will even be easy on the lawn.

rScotty