Weather Stations

/ Weather Stations #41  
We have Davis Vantage Pro2 little more than 2 years. The anemometer broke some time after warranty expired but Davis shipped us test switch and when proved that the electronics was OK shipped new anemometer for free with only few questions asked and wanted the old bak. The new anemometer was somewhat different. It almost felt like the original had an issue they knew about.
The humidity measurement as reported to the web was wrong for some time due to incorrect setting in the little box that talks to the internet. Once I found the error I fixed the setting.
I had constant problem with birds pooping in the rain gage. To prevent that I installed stainless steel spike crown on the rim of the rain collector and also bought a fake owl that sits near the PWS.
The anemometer was located about 6ft high for over a year and last summer I finally moved the station farther away from the obstacles (300 ft away from the closest one) and placed the anemometer 30.8 ft high.
I also found that the temperature was affected by the proximity of the station to the wooden pole it was attached to. So it si now mounted on a cantilever about 3 ft long.
The flowers behind the PWS is prairie restoration project in progress.

Weather station 20.jpg

Weather station 24.jpg

/ Weather Stations #42  
I would love to find an IP based system that is easy to use and configure. No wireless stuff, no batteries! Most more sophisticated systems seem to have the hardware seperate from the software and this just makes it too complicated for me to even consider.

IS it too much to ask for, when we spend good money on something to have it labelled in English? We should demand this, as consumers! Enough of these stupid (meaningless) ICONS already.

/ Weather Stations #43  
We have Davis Vantage Pro2 little more than 2 years. The anemometer broke some time after warranty expired but Davis shipped us test switch and when proved that the electronics was OK shipped new anemometer for free with only few questions asked and wanted the old bak. The new anemometer was somewhat different. It almost felt like the original had an issue they knew about.
The humidity measurement as reported to the web was wrong for some time due to incorrect setting in the little box that talks to the internet. Once I found the error I fixed the setting.
I had constant problem with birds pooping in the rain gage. To prevent that I installed stainless steel spike crown on the rim of the rain collector and also bought a fake owl that sits near the PWS.
The anemometer was located about 6ft high for over a year and last summer I finally moved the station farther away from the obstacles (300 ft away from the closest one) and placed the anemometer 30.8 ft high.
I also found that the temperature was affected by the proximity of the station to the wooden pole it was attached to. So it si now mounted on a cantilever about 3 ft long.
The flowers behind the PWS is prairie restoration project in progress.

View attachment 453424

View attachment 453425

Davis changed the anemometers from a reed switch to hall effect recently (within the last couple years I think). The HE switch is much more reliable.

I havent had issues with birds on mine but on this years(?) revision to the rain gauge, they added some bird spikes like you did and improved the screen inside. I was having issues with the flat screen in mine letting pine needles through so Im glad to see they addressed the issue, but I installed some fine screen in mine to stop the needles and so far so good.

7345.527_01.jpg

/ Weather Stations #44  
I would love to find an IP based system that is easy to use and configure. No wireless stuff, no batteries! Most more sophisticated systems seem to have the hardware seperate from the software and this just makes it too complicated for me to even consider.

IS it too much to ask for, when we spend good money on something to have it labelled in English? We should demand this, as consumers! Enough of these stupid (meaningless) ICONS already.

The Davis stations are super easy too hookup, even a caveman could do it:thumbsup: If you can plug in a USB you can broadcast your data. If you want to upload without a PC running, it gets a bit more complicated, but still pretty doable especially with the WeatherlinkIP .

The screen on my Davis VP2 is nice and simple (and labeled in ENGLISH!) as well. Im not much on fancy graphics, I like a nice, clean display.

Last edited:
   / Weather Stations #45  
I hate it when that happens..I need a new anemometer for mine $105 and it's 8 years old new setup for $400 tough decision.

FYI Davis will do a complete referb on a VP2 for $150+shipping. Thats for the entire unit, and they will upgrade components to the most recent version (like the anemometer). $100 for a Vue. $200 for a VP2 with the powered temp sensor. I believe they will even mail the parts if you want to DIY and save on shipping. Its a pretty decent option that not many are aware of.

/ Weather Stations #46  

It's an international world now, Mate, and products are sold to all sorts of people... languages AND power sources.

Besides that, you live in Canada. Therefore it would have to be labelled in English and French. :laughing: Plus, would the 'English' be proper or Americanized?

/ Weather Stations #47  
FYI Davis will do a complete referb on a VP2 for $150+shipping. Thats for the entire unit, and they will upgrade components to the most recent version (like the anemometer). $100 for a Vue. $200 for a VP2 with the powered temp sensor. I believe they will even mail the parts if you want to DIY and save on shipping. Its a pretty decent option that not many are aware of.

Actually I did this about 5 months ago and now it went bad 90 day warranty..:mad:

/ Weather Stations #48  
Actually I did this about 5 months ago and now it went bad 90 day warranty..:mad:

Not good! Did you contact Davis? Did they give a new style anemometer when they refurbed?

/ Weather Stations #49  
Not good! Did you contact Davis? Did they give a new style anemometer when they refurbed?

No they did not guess they figured mine was working..I did send an email actually sent another one today.

/ Weather Stations #50  

Totally agree. It is worse in Europe. There is some law about having to print ingredients (food) and/or instructions in x number of languages, but it seems the manufacturer chooses the languages. I do not read Arabic or Greek. I can get by with most of the Romance languages - at least I can follow them as well as Chinese English, but sometimes they only have Eastern European ones. Fat lot of use that is to a native Portuguese.

As for the Icons......they are almost all meaningless to me too, and many other people I know.