Weather vane

/ Weather vane #1  

czechsonofagun

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B1750
This was just a little project on my ToDo list. When I changed the roof on the barn, I left there a piece of 5/8" round stock sticking up 6" right in the middle with the plan to put a weather vane on it eventually.
I found a local plasma mo and pa shop and got the figure cut from 14ga steel for $25, the figure is 16" tall. The rest is just metal I found in my shop. It rotates on a single ball bearing ball.
The only challenge was to open up a piece of tubing to rotate freely on 5/8" round stock.

My wife does not know, I am just waiting for her to notice :D:D

KIMG3609.jpgKIMG3608-1.jpg

/ Weather vane #2  
That's fun. I like to surprise my wife that way too. Fun to see how long it takes to notice things!!!

/ Weather vane #3  
Now hook up generator system to mill enough to light 50-100 watt led.

/ Weather vane #4  
This was just a little project on my ToDo list. When I changed the roof on the barn, I left there a piece of 5/8" round stock sticking up 6" right in the middle with the plan to put a weather vane on it eventually.
I found a local plasma mo and pa shop and got the figure cut from 14ga steel for $25, the figure is 16" tall. The rest is just metal I found in my shop. It rotates on a single ball bearing ball.
The only challenge was to open up a piece of tubing to rotate freely on 5/8" round stock.

View attachment 537263View attachment 537264

Nice job.......I'm sure she will be pleased.

I picked up this "Man of Steel" at a garage sale, added the platform (I didn't want to puncture a hole in the roof), flag and pole. I replace the flag every year and give him a fresh coat of paint. He's been on alert for at least 8 years. The cape and flag let me know the wind direction.superman2.jpgsuperman1.jpg

/ Weather vane #5  

View attachment 537263View attachment 537264

We put a weather vane(200$) on our new shop that has a red roof, hawks loved and crapped all over the pretty red roof. Took it down!

/ Weather vane #6  
We put a weather vane up we bought. I have another one up that I made. I love seeing these swing with the wind. Starlings will sit on ours.

You did a nice job with yours. That ball bearing idea is good!

weather vane.jpg

/ Weather vane
Thank you gents :)

I was showing her a hawk on the fence and she noticed the vane. Of course she asked if I could add a cupola - as expected :)