Weed Control - What is everybody using?

/ Weed Control - What is everybody using? #31  
Alan L. said:
Any luck using MSMA on the johnson grass? I was about to spray mine with that.

Yep, it will work, but you may have to spray it a second time since it isn't as effective as Roundup. Unlike Roundup, it won't kill your Bermuda grass. It also works on Dallis grass, but will require a second application. If you have Bermuda grass, it's a good way to control Johnson and Dallis grass and not kill the Bermuda.

Bill

/ Weed Control - What is everybody using?
EddieWalker said:
Darin,

Thanks for posting the pictures. You did a much better job of describing it then the dealer did on their website!!!! I had no idea that it was as involved as it is. The hydraulic motor was a big suprise.

Obviously you felt it was worth the price, but I'm curious how you came to that conclusion? Did you compare to spraying rigs in the same price range? Similar spray width?

Thanks,
Eddie

Ya know Eddie, I could not find anything else on the market that compared to this setup. See, I already have a spray rig. Not that big, 20' or so. I will still use it for other projects, etc.

There were a couple big wins for me:

1 - Don't have to worry about wind drift. With a spray rig, you really have to watch the wind and direction. I have a lot of crops around me and I don't want to kill the guy's wheat, etc.

2 - Uses less chemical

3 - Is very effective on killing johnson grass, etc.

I do this farming and ranching stuff part time. I can't get out at the exact time to spray. I figure once I get these new pastures under control, many of the weeds will be choked out.

Also, I tried a none powered wicking system. It sucks in comparison. I could not get the flow consistent. They didn't sell a mounting system, so the one I made kinda sucked to be honest. I like to buy turn key stuff - too many other things going on in my life.

The unit is not cheap, but I think it fits my needs well. I still have a spray rig too. I think it was around $2K.

Killing weeds is the best thing anybody can do to improve their pastures. I am loaded for bear. :)

D.

/ Weed Control - What is everybody using? #33  
ddivinia said:
Ya know Eddie, I could not find anything else on the market that compared to this setup. See, I already have a spray rig. Not that big, 20' or so. I will still use it for other projects, etc.

There were a couple big wins for me:

1 - Don't have to worry about wind drift. With a spray rig, you really have to watch the wind and direction. I have a lot of crops around me and I don't want to kill the guy's wheat, etc.

2 - Uses less chemical

3 - Is very effective on killing johnson grass, etc.

I do this farming and ranching stuff part time. I can't get out at the exact time to spray. I figure once I get these new pastures under control, many of the weeds will be choked out.

Also, I tried a none powered wicking system. It sucks in comparison. I could not get the flow consistent. They didn't sell a mounting system, so the one I made kinda sucked to be honest. I like to buy turn key stuff - too many other things going on in my life.

The unit is not cheap, but I think it fits my needs well. I still have a spray rig too. I think it was around $2K.

Killing weeds is the best thing anybody can do to improve their pastures. I am loaded for bear. :)

D.

Well you answered all my questions. As I look a thest pics I am thing "****, I love that set up". "But I am also thinking **** that is expensive." With prices like that the 6ft. model would have to suit me. I could still do my entire pasture with relative ease as most of my implements are of the 6,7,and 8ft variety. I would think you would need the foam option but not sure of the gauge wheels on the smaller model like the 6 footer. The one question I am still try to anwer is do I spray enough to front the money on something like this or is it better spent on a Utility vehicle (which we still need) and a covential spray unit for it.

Great pictures by the way.

One other question, is you other spray rig a 12volt model or pto pump model?

mark.r said:
Well you answered all my questions. As I look a thest pics I am thing "****, I love that set up". "But I am also thinking **** that is expensive." With prices like that the 6ft. model would have to suit me. I could still do my entire pasture with relative ease as most of my implements are of the 6,7,and 8ft variety. I would think you would need the foam option but not sure of the gauge wheels on the smaller model like the 6 footer. The one question I am still try to anwer is do I spray enough to front the money on something like this or is it better spent on a Utility vehicle (which we still need) and a covential spray unit for it.

Great pictures by the way.

One other question, is you other spray rig a 12volt model or pto pump model?

You would go with a narrower unit. I am working 100 acres of Bermuda. I almost went 20', but that is pretty big.

You are right on the gauge wheels - shorter model you will not need it.

Do you have a hydraulic outlet on the back?

How big of an area are you working?

The other spray right I mentioned is PTO powered.

I do have a 12VDC unit I used on my 4 wheeler and gator.

What area are you trying to cover?

One can't live without a utility vehicle. :) The wiper might have to wait.

This kind of unit would be a great thing to go partners on but my partners always seem to tear stuff up.

Thanks on the pics. I am still learning photography. There seems to be a lot more to it than point and shoot.

Also, Bowman has a bunch of options:

Bowman Manufacturing

They are a lot cheaper, but I really don't think they are as good as the weed wiper. I actually bought one of their rope a dope units before the grassworks weed wiper.

Also, you might want to look at the utility vehicle units grass works offers.

D.

/ Weed Control - What is everybody using? #35  
You would go with a narrower unit. I am working 100 acres of Bermuda. I almost went 20', but that is pretty big.

Yea, we would go with a 6ft. and just be done with it.

Agreed.

Yes, I two an A and B.

Currently I am working 5.5 of my own but we are looking lease/rent additonal acreage for orchardgrass harvesting.

When, ever you get a minute (no rush) would you mind taking a few pictures of how you pump is mounted. I have been looking for pictures on how to mount a PTO powered pump using one of those chain/brace kits from Agri-Supply . . . assuming you have a similar set up.

I am thing at this point this is the best way for us to go. I may just go with one of the cheaper convential sprayer rigs like you have on your smaller JD tractor and a UTV for our boarder to use. We currently use a smaller JD garden tractor to clean stalls and take water out to horses etc. A few pictures of you sprayer pump hook would help though.

Thanks.

/ Weed Control - What is everybody using? #37  
Nice setup you have there! I looked at one of those at a farm show last winter, but decided our place is still too rough to use one. I use a 500 gallon pasture spayer with(usually) 2,4-D for weeds. I would like to go to a rig like yours after we get things cleaned up more.

mark.r said:

Yea, we would go with a 6ft. and just be done with it.

Agreed.

Yes, I two an A and B.

Currently I am working 5.5 of my own but we are looking lease/rent additonal acreage for orchardgrass harvesting.

When, ever you get a minute (no rush) would you mind taking a few pictures of how you pump is mounted. I have been looking for pictures on how to mount a PTO powered pump using one of those chain/brace kits from Agri-Supply . . . assuming you have a similar set up.

I am thing at this point this is the best way for us to go. I may just go with one of the cheaper convential sprayer rigs like you have on your smaller JD tractor and a UTV for our boarder to use. We currently use a smaller JD garden tractor to clean stalls and take water out to horses etc. A few pictures of you sprayer pump hook would help though.

Thanks.

I'll post some pics of my smaller spray rig.

D.

chh said:
Nice setup you have there! I looked at one of those at a farm show last winter, but decided our place is still too rough to use one. I use a 500 gallon pasture spayer with(usually) 2,4-D for weeds. I would like to go to a rig like yours after we get things cleaned up more.

I was concerned about rough and went with the gauge wheels.

What kind of grass are you working?

D.

Here is my smaller spray rig with pics.

150 Gal
Boom
Gun
PTO powered
Can do left, right, or both booms and gun anytime.

Made by Remcor, bought thru my JD dealer.

D.

Attachments

• DSC_8632.jpg
    DSC_8632.jpg
    983.4 KB · Views: 144
  • DSC_8633.jpg
    DSC_8633.jpg
    809.5 KB · Views: 120
  • DSC_8634.jpg
    DSC_8634.jpg
    667.2 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC_8635.jpg