Weed Eater Blades

/ Weed Eater Blades #1  

Deere Dude

Elite Member
Beaver Dam Wisconsin then to Hohenwald, TN
Tractor
John Deere 3720
I have 2 fairly heavy duty gas weed eaters. They worked okay until a couple years ago when I got fed up with trimming. My problem is I have some viny long weeds in deep ditches. The viny stuff gets wrapped around the shaft along with weeds and after un clogging the head a few times I just give up to where if I can't get it with the garden tractor with 62" deck or with weed killer I don't do it.

I came across knotted wire weed eater ends that seems it might work better than a saw blade end or a string end. Did anyone here use these and would you suggest a certain style that might work for me.

I understand it would be easier to keep weeds under control after they are cut short the first time, but the first cutting is where I really struggle.

Attachments

• bid 1.jpg
    bid 1.jpg
    780.8 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
   / Weed Eater Blades #2  
I use a renegade red blade and cut through tons of vines, never have them wrap the blade, so far.
That knotted head looks like it would be good for removing rust.

/ Weed Eater Blades #3  
I use something like this to clear heavy weeds. Only time I have issues with blade wrapping is trying to trim tall grass (sometimes mixed in with the brushy/pulpy weeds)...the grass will often wrap around the shaft. Agree it's a PITA, but haven't really found a good solution.
1693400991138.png

/ Weed Eater Blades #5  
I have a large diameter head - like ArlyA shows. It had three nylon blades rather than string. Worked great but the nylon blades wore rather quickly. Took one brand new blade to local machine shop. They crafted three out of steel for me. It's now a fierce cutting machine. But tall grass can still be a problem.

It's not cutting the tall grass that's the problem. It's getting the head mixed up with the cut/fallen grass.

In any case - I don't use my Stihl weed wacker any more. Just wait for late summer when all weeds and grasses dry up and die. Simple - cheap - efficient.

/ Weed Eater Blades #6  
I have a large diameter head - like ArlyA shows. It had three nylon blades rather than string. Worked great but the nylon blades wore rather quickly. Took one brand new blade to local machine shop. They crafted three out of steel for me. It's now a fierce cutting machine. But tall grass can still be a problem.

It's not cutting the tall grass that's the problem. It's getting the head mixed up with the cut/fallen grass.

In any case - I don't use my Stihl weed wacker any more. Just wait for late summer when all weeds and grasses dry up and die. Simple - cheap - efficient.
In some species of grass that is tough, rope like and tends to get wrapped up, we'll when take a pass at a higher level, then the 2nd cut near ground. This makes the cuttings shorter and lessons the wrapping up effect a bit.

/ Weed Eater Blades #7  
The "double cut" does help - ArlyA - for sure. I have the Stihl FS 450. It's a giant of a machine. Even with the harness to hold the cutter - it doesn't take long and my back begins to ache.

Twice - in the summer - I use my old JD mower to cut back the edges of the encroaching grass and Buck brush. Man - I use that old mower like most will use a brush hog. If I can drive over it or ram into it - I will cut it. I'm really surprised that it has lasted so long. And still on the same blades and drive belt.

My new JD 570 only has to mow field grass and normal lawn. One of my nicest "lawns" is a meadow that - after repeated cutting - has become pretty nice. A pic of the meadow.
IMG_0079.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Weed Eater Blades
I use something like this to clear heavy weeds. Only time I have issues with blade wrapping is trying to trim tall grass (sometimes mixed in with the brushy/pulpy weeds)...the grass will often wrap around the shaft. Agree it's a PITA, but haven't really found a good solution.
View attachment 818640
I stumbled across a brand new one of these in my shelves I aquired from a garage clean out somewhere. I tried it out in problem areas and it works great. Scary looking though when running.

/ Weed Eater Blades #9  
I've used those things that Oaktree posted from Home Depot, and they work pretty good. These here are awesome. Shred blackberries down to the ground, grass OK too. The three pointers do OK for cutting.
1693443207519.png

/ Weed Eater Blades #10  
In some species of grass that is tough, rope like and tends to get wrapped up, we'll when take a pass at a higher level, then the 2nd cut near ground. This makes the cuttings shorter and lessons the wrapping up effect a bit.
This works for me as well. And I have a LOT of experience fighting tall rope-like grass.