weed killer

/ weed killer #11  
Detergents such as the the commercial surfactants (stickers) bought from the feed store or TSC cost about $10/gallon and don't foam very much, if at all. Dish washing detergents will work but they have a foaming agent added to make the suds so that people think they are cleaning better. More suds = more cleaning power ... right????

Glyphosphates, such as Round-Up and the cheaper knock-offs, will kill most green vegetation but are deactivated by soil contact, therefore they have no or very little residual effect. Some weeds are difficult to kill and may need 2 applications but if you mix it with 2-4-D, it'll kill just about anything green that it touches. Be careful though because you can kill or weaken trees by spraying the bark. A little bit of spray or drift probably won't do much harm but soaking the trunk can make them sick, especially if there is any bark or borer damage.

If you're going to be replanting seed, you don't need to be using anything with a pre-emergent mixed in with it. Most of them hang around in the soil for quite a while and your replanting results will be very, very disappointing.

/ weed killer
Ok, I sprayed my entire rain forest this weekend with roundup (concentrate) and we'll see what happens. Directions said to mix 1.5 oz. for every gallon bu I mixed it at 4 oz per gallon. I have about 3 acres to kill and it did cost me a fortune /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. I'll let you know.

/ weed killer #13  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Do you have to add an anti-foam agent when doing this? I would thing the recirculating circuit would really foam things up in the tank. )</font>

If you have a hot tub, the anti-foam agent for that works great in your sprayer.

/ weed killer #14  
I have not had any trouble with getting RoundUp to kill either broadleaf nor grass. I have spayed brush stumps, but the brush came back out. Am trying Tordon 22k on that, but the Tordon takes an applicator license. Remedy will take care of mesquite, but I reckon mesquite is not your concern in NY.

I have put Roundup down in the winter (winter in West Texas ain't winter in NY obviously) and it still worked but took a bit.

Like a previous writer said--Roundup will withstand a rain if allowed to dry an hour before the rain.

I too mixed some 2-4d with roundup and it definitely did the job. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fertilome Weedout works better for broadleaf than does straight 2-4d in that it does not seem to burn the grass as much.

/ weed killer #15  
I too have had success using glyphosate (a Round-Up knock off) and then adding a surfactant. The dishsoap idea is probably a good substitute.

/ weed killer #16  
If you could use Tordon in the area you could also use Arsenal AC. It is not cheap at $160/qt but a little goes a long way.

/ weed killer #17  
I have had good success with Round-Up. As someone mentioned there are different kinds of Round-Up available - weed killer and brush cutter - I think. Round-Up, both kinds, are expensive so I have tried other brands that claimed to be "just as good as Round-Up for killing weeds" - they weren't. For weed killing & "edging", along driveways and flowerbeds, I have yet to find anything better than Round-Up around here. IMHO, it's worth the extra $$$.

For the brush killing stuff, wild grape vines, poison oak & ivy, briars, etc. I have found the Bayer brush-B-gone, I think that's what it is called, to be just as good as the Round-Up brush killer. The Bayer stuff is not as concentrated so you have to buy more as compared to the Round-Up brush killer. This makes it slightly less expensive, maybe a dollar or two less per gallon. I have had great results with it though. I keep a quart bottle sprayer, like used to spray/mist flowers, for special occassion with a half-and-half mixture of the brush-b-gone. When I find a large poison oak or wild grape vine, I cut about 6" out and spray both ends. Within no time, maybe a week, it's dead.

/ weed killer
It's been about 2 weeks now and the Round Up has done the trick /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif When I started I used the concentrate that did not state "visible results in 24 hours" and that part is still hanging on a little bit. I switched to the other concentrate and it worked within 48 hours.

Thanks All

/ weed killer #19  
I have used both the Big N Tough and the Round Up in the large "mix it yourself" bottles sold at Tractor Supply and the Big N Tough wins hands down. I compared the labels and the active ingredient is the same and even though the Round Up says that it has a greater percentage of it, the Big N Tough kills more and quicker than the Round Up when diluted at the same ratio. So, save yourself some money and buy the Big N Tough.
I have a 15.5 Gallon sprayer that I also bought at Tractor Supply, I have mounted it to my Polaris ATV and run the pump off of a spare ATV battery stored in the back compartment of the ATV, works great, just drive around and spray the fence line, no more weed whacking which means more time for other forms of exercise!