Weeds Suppressor Mat

/ Weeds Suppressor Mat #1  

NCMau

Gold Member
Tractor
MF 202/Ford 8N
I need inputs of an effective mat or other methods for preventing weeds to come through. I plan to put some rocks on ends of the culvert located at the entrance of my residence. Do not want to use any cement, just stacked rocks high enough to create a visual safety stop. Maybe some of you had a similar situation and like to share it.

/ Weeds Suppressor Mat #4  
I need inputs of an effective mat or other methods for preventing weeds to come through. I plan to put some rocks on ends of the culvert located at the entrance of my residence. Do not want to use any cement, just stacked rocks high enough to create a visual safety stop. Maybe some of you had a similar situation and like to share it.

You're reading what a Novice is typing so think on it before doing it !

I look for a heavy duty weed block screen made of plastic !

Any rock stand or spread of stone, even ones that have a weed blocker under them WILL collect dirt and in turn sprout weeds... unless you occasionally spray the pile with a weed killer.

Cementing the rocks will increase the time before you see new weeds, so a small amount of cement to hold the base together isn't a bad thing, more of a deterrent, and it allows you to spray the dirt build up out of the rock without making a mud stream.

I am using a few larger Quartz Rock at the head of my driveway, I am building a semicircular pile of stones as a marker an address marker so to speak, and I plan on spraying around them once a year or as needed to keep the weeds somewhat at bay !

May even add some Solar powered LEDs... somehow !

Shingles.

Interesting idea, gets rid of something that is a PITA to get rid of ! Thx

/ Weeds Suppressor Mat #5  
Another item that will work to hold the base and deter weeds is carpeting.
Most carpeting is of synthetic materials not unsimilar to the geotextiles they sell for that purpose.

Shingles were mentioned OK but don't let the environment folks know, it is like asphalt, OK on the surface but not buried.
They fear that when it breaks down it will enter the water table.
Concrete (crushed) is in the same category, Ok as a surface dressing but never buried.

/ Weeds Suppressor Mat #6  
I use empty chicken and goat feed bags, dog food bags work too.:thumbsup:
I've used them for 3 years and no weeds have come thru., but like Scrambler said dirt will get in there so spray with weed killer.
Joe

/ Weeds Suppressor Mat #7  
Nothing beats a carpet if you are ok redoing it every 5 yrs.

/ Weeds Suppressor Mat #8  
I have heard of people using tar paper - doesn't let water though but will block out weeds

/ Weeds Suppressor Mat #9  
Nothing beats a carpet if you are ok redoing it every 5 yrs.

That would apply with wool based carpeting but current materials are generally all synthetic based like rayon or nylon etc.
Not that I have done that but my neighbor did so 10 years or so ago and no problem.

/ Weeds Suppressor Mat #10  
The best thing I can say about weed control mats is it makes the weeds that grow on top of it easier to pull because their root system is shallow.