Weekend Project ......... Install Woods BH 80X

/ Weekend Project ......... Install Woods BH 80X
soxfan said:
I have a B3030HSDC and have contemplated that same purchase. My worry was the bother of trying to navigate the the tractor while using the backhoe. It seems like it may be tough getting in and out of the the cab to reposition vs. the open frame on a non-cab unit. Sure looks nice though.

Though having the cab makes a little more work when having to reposition the tractor...... not enough to not want the heat , A/C , and tunes !

/ Weekend Project ......... Install Woods BH 80X #12  
hmm, not surprised about the rubbing - there isn't much clearance between those bolts and the tires with r4s. I think spacers would be a good thing for stability in any case - I'll probably get them myself at some point.

Where was the extra length in the subframe - tractor side or under the seat of the hoe?

Charlesaf3 said:
Where was the extra length in the subframe - tractor side or under the seat of the hoe?

I believe the part on the tractors is identical. The extra length is on the backhoe side, under the seat. I did have to loosen the seat and slide it all the way forward also. Putting the hoe back another six inches sure lightens up the front end !

/ Weekend Project ......... Install Woods BH 80X #14  
I bet! Its a big hoe for the tractor no doubt. Rocks and logs in the bucket helps, and my fronts are loaded too FYI.

Got the chipper hooked up and chipped a pile of brush today. Worked nicely, though it doesn't love twigs - I had an opportunity to take it apart and remove the twigs wrapped around the driveline. Checked the knives while I was at it - they need sharpening, but aren't awful.

A 4.5" log on a wallensteing bx62 stalls a b3030 by the way - I was experimenting.

What did you put those restrictors on with, btw, an industrial impact wrench??? It took me 45 minutes and 2 huge pipe wrenches to get them off. I'm guessing they didn't leak!

/ Weekend Project ......... Install Woods BH 80X #15  
Ductape,

That's a nice way to spend the weekend. My arms hurt for a few days after tightening the front bolts to 170 ft-lbs. On my B3030 (non-cab) the sub-frame bolts that bolt to the axles kept loosening. Make sure you check them after a few hours of use.

This year mine are still tight after using lock-tight on them. It's easy to tell when they start to get loose since the hoe will start to creek when you are raising and lowering the stabilizers.

Enjoy the hoe,
Vic

Charles, sorry about those fittings....... honest, i just used a plain old wrench to tighten them ;) ! I never really paid any attention to the knives, but a sharpening and setting the knife-to-anvil clearance can only improve things.

Vic, thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to check the bolts in the axle housing occaisinally. One of our members here just broke one on his woods hoe on a B7800.

I decided today to fix my mounting pin to tire rubbing issue. My local dealer actually had a set of Kubota wheel spacers in stock. Not sure whats up, but they charged me $34 OVER list for them...... maybe they gave me too good of a deal on the subframe ??

Kit comes with a hefty 1.5 inch billet steel spacer for each side, longer wheel studs, and nuts and lock washers. They came black, so i squirted a couple quick coats of Kubota orange on them from a rattle can. You can see the ring around the tire where the pins were rubbing.

Attachments

• Wheel Spacers 003.JPG
    Wheel Spacers 003.JPG
    473.2 KB · Views: 366
  • Wheel Spacers 001.JPG
    Wheel Spacers 001.JPG
    218.4 KB · Views: 346
  • Wheel Spacers 002.JPG
    Wheel Spacers 002.JPG
    196.8 KB · Views: 290
Very straightforward, removed the old bolts and studs..... installed the new ones. Baked the paint on the spacers @ 350 in the oven. Shhhhhhh !!! Don't tell Mrs. Ductape !! Tapped the spacers over the studs with a dead-blow hammer and re-installed the wheels.

One warning i need to add. Having owned several commercial trucks in the past, i used to mount all my wn tires. I thought i was well prepared to R & R my loaded rears...... boy was i wrong !! Lordy loaded tires are incredibly heavy ! Heed my advice and get yourself another set of hands if you are removing loaded tires :eek: .

My rubbing problem is now solved!

Attachments

• Wheel Spacers 004.JPG
    Wheel Spacers 004.JPG
    353.8 KB · Views: 439
  • Wheel Spacers 005.JPG
    Wheel Spacers 005.JPG
    374.8 KB · Views: 414
   / Weekend Project ......... Install Woods BH 80X #18  
Cool spacers. How much further out do they move the wheels, the 1.5 inch? Do you find the tractor more stable at all?

I was thinking loaded tires might even need a forklift to deal with - now I know why those bolts were so tight - You are a strong guy ductape!

Charlesaf3 said:
You are a strong guy ductape!

I don't care who you are, thats funny right there !:D

The spacers make the tractor 3 inches wider (total) in the rear, and i'd call the difference very noticable. It took a five foot bar on either side of the tire to get it on the axle. I'm guessing each wheel weighs 350 lbs.....:eek:

/ Weekend Project ......... Install Woods BH 80X #20  
Ductape said:
I thought i was well prepared to R & R my loaded rears...... boy was i wrong !! Lordy loaded tires are incredibly heavy ! Heed my advice and get yourself another set of hands if you are removing loaded tires :eek: .

My rubbing problem is now solved!

You are a brave soul. I didn't want to try to move my loaded tires, so I built this wheel dolly.

attached thumbnail:

Glad to hear the wheel spacers are easy to install. The chains on my rear R4s occasionally rub on the fender, so I've been thinking about getting the spacers.

Vic