Weighing tongue weight at home.

/ Weighing tongue weight at home. #1  

tshep

Gold Member
Tractor
BX23 MLB
As above, setting up new trailer and BX23.
I sat the tractor to float the trailer (my zero) and moved forward a few time until I ran out of scale-ability.
Scale stopped at 400 lbs.
Since I had measured along the way (distance and weight) I could make a reasonable prediction to get to 525 or so (even with my various errors / guesses, I should be in 10 to 15%).

Two questions....
1 How to multiply my scale - could a lever 're-range' my scale (tongue exactly 1/2 way along pole - supported at other end, this end on scale - times 2.
2 I got less (and less) weight transferred (on each adjustment forward) per mm.
Brain hurts - does this seem normal?
What principle makes sense? (How could I model the math, extrapolation was a bit of work to narrow error.)
Again brain hurts, THX!

/ Weighing tongue weight at home. #2  

/ Weighing tongue weight at home. #3  
As above, setting up new trailer and BX23.
I sat the tractor to float the trailer (my zero) and moved forward a few time until I ran out of scale-ability.
Scale stopped at 400 lbs.
Since I had measured along the way (distance and weight) I could make a reasonable prediction to get to 525 or so (even with my various errors / guesses, I should be in 10 to 15%).

Two questions....
1 How to multiply my scale - could a lever 're-range' my scale (tongue exactly 1/2 way along pole - supported at other end, this end on scale - times 2.
2 I got less (and less) weight transferred (on each adjustment forward) per mm.
Brain hurts - does this seem normal?
What principle makes sense? (How could I model the math, extrapolation was a bit of work to narrow error.)
Again brain hurts, THX!
Go to e-trailer.com!
Their explanation diagram covers it.

/ Weighing tongue weight at home. #5  
Yes, better figure it out in your yard. Friend just headed out to Saskatchewan from Ontario with a 25 foot trailer carrying a bird house, hanging off the end somewhat. HE didn't get far when he realized in the seat of his pants, that somwthing wasn't quite right, so stopped at some farmer and bought a round bail to throw on the front, which solved the problem, lol

/ Weighing tongue weight at home.
I've hauled gravel and stones when I had to stop on interstate and move load, by hand.
I've learned to make a load ramp when I go to the gravel place, so when the guy 'misses' it still go to the front.
So, slowly learned very important.

I see the weighing lever idea is not far off base.

How 'bout the math to minimize my guesses (of tractor moves) for trials?
Is there some geometry in there - or just percentages and measuring error?

***Updated***
Went back over my math with a fresh brain.
Found an early error.
Looks very linear now, within my measurement error range.
(I thought it would be linear.... if a foot gets me 200 lbs, 2 feet more should get me 400lbs more, etc.)

Last edited:
   / Weighing tongue weight at home. #7  
Yes, better figure it out in your yard. Friend just headed out to Saskatchewan from Ontario with a 25 foot trailer carrying a bird house, hanging off the end somewhat. HE didn't get far when he realized in the seat of his pants, that somwthing wasn't quite right, so stopped at some farmer and bought a round bail to throw on the front, which solved the problem, lol
That must have been a BIG freaking bird house! What's he trying to attract, Pterosaurs? :D

/ Weighing tongue weight at home. #8  
If you use the bathroom scale method, make sure the tongue load contact with the scale is broadly distributed, (like the load is when you stand on a scale). My first time it wasn't and the scale's upper sheet metal deflected enough to interfere with the weight reading.

/ Weighing tongue weight at home.
If you use the bathroom scale method, make sure the tongue load contact with the scale is broadly distributed, (like the load is when you stand on a scale). My first time it wasn't and the scale's upper sheet metal deflected enough to interfere with the weight reading.
I've been using the foot on the jack - seems fine.

/ Weighing tongue weight at home. #10  
I've been using the foot on the jack - seems fine.
Your jack likely sits somewhat back from the actual coupler.
To be reasonably accurate, you should actually put the coupler on the scale (use a 1/2" piece of scrap plywood)