Weight in bucket W/O using counter weight

/ Weight in bucket W/O using counter weight #11  
I can lift an awful amount of weight with my old John Deere 2020 bucket. Problem is, once I've lifted it off the ground that take all the weight off the rear tires and I have problems going anywhere...especially backing up (no 4wd). And heaven help you if you go down a hill with a lot of weight in the bucket. I did that only once - rear tires were sliding. Probably would have been best to back down but it was a long hill!

/ Weight in bucket W/O using counter weight #12  
Well My tractor is a SCUT.... And it has about a 840 (breakout) or roughly 600 pound lift capability at the bucket......

20190513_134020-jpg.678087

20190513_134501-jpg.678088

JD riding mower is 520lbs according to owners manual and counter weight (ballast) on rear of tractor is 500-600lbs....

And you have to realize you have little or no brakes with rear wheels off ground and no forward or rev directional control unless you have 4WD and are depending on front wheels to do everything...

And NO pictures are not photo shoped...

Last edited:
   / Weight in bucket W/O using counter weight #13  
What you could do is look around at garage sales etc and see if someone has a weight set for sale. Use the bar through the lower links with the weights in the middle.

/ Weight in bucket W/O using counter weight #15  
I am having a few trees felled and having the rounds cut into 4 foot lengths. This comes to 600 pounds per round that needs to be moved.

Roughly 50 of these rounds will be moved 25 yards away on a flat surface, obviously one at a time in the bucket.

So, do you think this can be safely done, ensuring the bucket remains a few inches from the ground?
The "normal" weight distribution on a bare tractor is 40% front, 60% rear. This distribution will vary a bit by model. 1700 X 40% = 680 pounds.

In addition to your 600 pound payload, your tractor will have most of 545 pound FEL weight and 680 pounds chassis weight on the front axle. 600 + 545 + 680 = 1825 pounds.

Consider the hazard of a front tire blowout.

I recommend cutting the rounds cut to 300 pounds in weight each.

Could securely chain a 5'/600 pound log on the 3PT Lower Links for counterbalance.

Max 24L Loader
weight: 545 lbs
247 kg

Last edited:
   / Weight in bucket W/O using counter weight #16  
The tractor will handle the job just fine.
No damage or long term problems.
Worry about being struck by lightning out in that open field more then the tractor.