Weight of Tractors, Attachments, & Implements

/ Weight of Tractors, Attachments, & Implements
My trailer will be 20'; which should be plenty long enough.

/ Weight of Tractors, Attachments, & Implements #12  
Don... for your trailer you won't need a CDL.... get it licensed as a FARM TRAILER. 1 axle with brakes is the same as I have on my flatbed.

I'd plan now to put a winch with cable on the front... amazing how much use I get out of mine.... about 4 times a year... but REALY handy when needed.

HF has them both manual and electric....

20 feet will be just dandy...

/ Weight of Tractors, Attachments, & Implements
John, I will register as a "Farm Trailer" and take advantage of that. I heard the other day that the wonderful Texas State Legislature has changed the rules on the farm tags though. Are you aware of any changes?

/ Weight of Tractors, Attachments, & Implements #14  
My buddy was just telling me that if you are doing commercial work (or looks commercial according to the Weigh Station police), you have to have a DOT number and a Chaufers license if your vehicle has a combined gross weight of 10,000 pounds.

I don't know if this is accurate or not, but thought I mention it. There are some other regs he told me, since it didn't apply to me, it just kinda went in one ear and out the other.

/ Weight of Tractors, Attachments, & Implements #15  
Haven't paid attention lately... about 3 months ago when I called the county tax office where licence plates are dispensed, I was told that if total weight was less than 24,000 lbs a farm tag could be issued and it was $6 I think .... an inspection that can be done where state motor vehicles are inspected is also needed ... basically it is the same inspection that is done for a motorbike... to insure the lights work and turn signals and tires are Ok. Farm tags work if you are not doing work for hire but using vehicle for moving farm equipment and produce.

/ Weight of Tractors, Attachments, & Implements #16  
THe other thing I forgot is that you would be ok without if you travel less than 100 miles a way. I just wanted to mention it since not everyone buys a tractor for farm work, and in some places you have to have a certain amount of property. I know in WV I couldn't declare an old pick-up as a farm vehicle because I generate no revenue on the farm.