weight of trailer, tractor and truck

/ weight of trailer, tractor and truck
i haven't found the GCWR anywhere?? i will look at the trailer and see if it has anything on it??
heehaw

/ weight of trailer, tractor and truck #42  
heehaw said:
i haven't found the GCWR anywhere?? i will look at the trailer and see if it has anything on it??
heehaw

No, it will definitely not be on the trailer, like was discussed earlier it may not be found on the truck at all.
It's based on a combination of components of the drive train as well as the model (1/2 ton, 3/4 ton etc). so it would be based on which motor your truck has, which tranny (stick or auto) and of course what rear gear ratio came with the truck. Even the tire size/rating.
You can find that info in new vehicles sales brochures, but like was mentioned might take a little research to find on an older model.
JB.

/ weight of trailer, tractor and truck #43  
heehaw said:
the sticker on the door of my truck says GVWR of 7000: a GAWR of 3925 for the front axle and 4000 for the rear: now about the WD hitch: i have always been under the impression that a WD hitch puts part of the weight on the front axle: "years ago" when the front wheel drive Tornodo came out: they where advertised, pulling an Airstream camper, with no back wheels/tires: by using a WD hitch. and i don't carry unloaded guns.
heehaw

HeeHaw,

Manufactures always under rate GVW when viewed as a comparison of combined axle ratings. A lot of this has to do with improper loading of the truck as I mentioned in an earlier post. Yes, the WD hitch moves where the tongue weight gets applied to the ground at, but, the only way to know where it is being applied it is to weigh all of the axles.

If I remember correctly for your year of truck there is some other interesting information on the sticker where you found the axle ratings. If you look at that sticker and mentally rotate the sticker so you look at it in a normal view not a sideways view, notice in the lower right hand corner there are 2 numbers. The upper one has a "F" on front of it and the bottom has a "T" in front of it.

The "F" stands for Front Axle Reserve Capacity. This equals how much weight can be added in FRONT of the front axle on a permanant basis assuming all passenger seating positions have a 150# person sitting in them. An axample of this could be a snow plow, winch, brush gaurd, etc..

The "T" stand for Total Axle Reserve Capacity. This equals how much weight can be added to the truck on a permanant basis assuming all seating postitions are filled with a 150# person sitting in them. This number is the total weight of ALL items added to a truck AFTER it is built.

1st Attachment shows an example of that sticker.

Now, if you have the other sticker that I mentioned earlier, that sticker is on the door jamb not the door, (once again I think it is on the 04's) you will see the payload of YOUR truck. If you subtract the (# of seating postions * 150#) from the payload you will get the "T" number.

2nd Attachment shows an example of that sticker (off of same truck).

Also, remember you can subtract payload from GVW to get factory curb weight.

Since I work primarily with with GM if you PM me your vin I can trace back to 06 very easily and for older I can cantact a person that has information dating back many years to see what I can find for the GCWR of you truck.

If I can find my copy of the picture you are referring to I will post it.

Attachments

• Door Vin Tag.JPG
    Door Vin Tag.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 565
  • Tire Pressure Label.JPG
    Tire Pressure Label.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 672
   / weight of trailer, tractor and truck #44  
Ak! I hate to see a manufacturer putting passenger P tires on a pickup. I never noticed those F and T numbers. Good info.

i have been looking for a replacement trailer, with at least 5000 pound axles: wow does the price vary: for a 18ft trailer, from $2450 to $3500, all with new 8 or 10 ply tires, an other stuff about the same. this wouldn't help the weight my truck is pulling, but would the weight the trailer carries:
heehaw

/ weight of trailer, tractor and truck #46  
Highbeam said:
Ak! I hate to see a manufacturer putting passenger P tires on a pickup. I never noticed those F and T numbers. Good info.

Tires are another story. When I deal with tire related questions I always fall back to the tire. In the example that I show, The recommended tire pressure is 35 while the sidewall recommends 44psi max IIRC. In the same area as the recommended max pressure it shows what weight the tire is rated for at that max pressure.

If I would have posted the tire pressures for a 3/4 - 1 ton you have seen the rear tires pressures listed at 80 and the front 60.

The issue with this is the average (I could probably say most and be safe) person does not adjust the pressure when fully loaded. The 35psi number is a balance between load capabilities and ride quality. (while almost always:eek: ) There is a chart somewhere in the www that shows the effects of tire pressure to load carring capibilities. Underinflated tires heat up faster and can cause blowouts.

Remember, the P rated group of tires is broke down into sub groups, including but not necessarly limited to, performance, passenger car, and SUV/Light truck. Even though the tire is listed as a P tire it is designed for Light Trucks as typically used in todays driving environment. For a person buying a truck that will be used primarily used for towing or near max rated hauling they should really consider a 3/4 or larger vehicle. For those that want to remain in the 1/2t class should look for one equipped with the optional or packaged LT tires. (I believe that LT tires are not available on Toyota)

Kurt

i looked at a trailer yesterday: with 2, 6000 pound axles: and the GVWR for the trailer was 14,000 pounds. i thought maybe my trailer would be rated the same way, so i wouldn't be over loaded, but no luck: theres a difference between bumper pull and 5th wheel trailer GVWR ratings.
heehaw

/ weight of trailer, tractor and truck #48  
heehaw,

For your truck there will probably be no difference in tow rating with a gooseneck trailer. There is on 3/4 - 1 ton models because they have a higher payload capacity and part of the pin weight gets placed on the front axle.

Kurt

i'm not really worrying about my truck: mainly the trailer: i don't get to excited if i can't go, but i get really excited if i can't stop: so i always put brakes on both axles: it may be hard on my truck transmission etc to pull 900 pounds more than its rated to pull, but it ain't worth tradin trucks: but carrying 900 more than its rated to carry, kinda worries me..so i think i'll see if i can sell my trailer and get a heavier duty one.
heehaw