Weird electrical puzzler - breaker pops, the PT1850 runs better until it's shut off

/ Weird electrical puzzler - breaker pops, the PT1850 runs better until it's shut off #11  
agreed. as per diagram.. the strobe should be common to yellow indirectly thru wiring.. and yellow must be staying hot from D+ on alt.

one thing i do not see is a amp or volt meter.

and the only charge path i can see is yellow - red, THRU the ignition switch ( wow.. I call that a POS design IMHO.. )

Thats what I was seeing too.

ONly thing the green wire powers is the fuel solenoid, and the low oil/high temp sensors and buzzers.

yellow (acc) wire powers everything else and what the alternator D+ post is connected to.

AS per the diagram, it seems the only thing that breaker does ONCE running is connect the alternator to the battery.

With the engine off, power comes through the breaker and red wire, and gets distrubuted to the yellow and green thru the ignition switch.
With engine running, power is on the yellow wire, which feeds green through the switch (fuel control), and feeds the red wire back to battery to charge.

Hard to imagine the alternator charging back through the battery? Usually D+ is straight to the battery.

/ Weird electrical puzzler - breaker pops, the PT1850 runs better until it's shut off #12  
What happens if you reset the breaker, and turn the key on but do not start the engine? Will it pop the breaker after the 15-30 seconds?

/ Weird electrical puzzler - breaker pops, the PT1850 runs better until it's shut off #13  
My recollection which may be wrong is that my PT shuts down when the breaker pops, I believe due to the fuel being shut off. I will try to look through my notes. I had all kinds of electrical problems due to high voltages. I replaced the alternator a while ago and the voltages are still kind of high but not so high that the breaker pops. All kinds of strange things can go on if you have bad connections to ground, corroded power connections, etc. On vehicles, I have had corroded connections enable totally unrelated circuits which i found bizarre.

Ken

/ Weird electrical puzzler - breaker pops, the PT1850 runs better until it's shut off #14  
if it does, perhaps there is a fault between the switch and the breaker... still don't explain the strobe.

and yeah.. yello charge to red thru switch is IMHO bad...

/ Weird electrical puzzler - breaker pops, the PT1850 runs better until it's shut off #15  
My recollection which may be wrong is that my PT shuts down when the breaker pops, I believe due to the fuel being shut off. I will try to look through my notes. I had all kinds of electrical problems due to high voltages. I replaced the alternator a while ago and the voltages are still kind of high but not so high that the breaker pops. All kinds of strange things can go on if you have bad connections to ground, corroded power connections, etc. On vehicles, I have had corroded connections enable totally unrelated circuits which i found bizarre.

Ken

depends on how your circuit is wired.

yellow in the diagram seems to be the sole source of charge from alt, and it must charge thru the switch to battery.. meaning your fuel should not have popped, unless you used a non oe switch that had different accy routing.

/ Weird electrical puzzler - breaker pops, the PT1850 runs better until it's shut off #16  
On my PT if the breaker goes, so goes the engine. Dies on the spot. Just as an FYI, I had to replace the breaker as it was causing me all sorts of fits. As the PT is not a barn animal, except for long term storage, it gets wet. The Breaker, while marine rated, doesn't mean it will last that long.

For everyone who is not a PT Owner, PT Wiring is a bit of a joke. Because the machine is articulated in the center, the designers thought it would be a good idea to put 2 connecting blocks on machine, one in the tub (engine compartment) and one at the dashboard. As well, there are no real fuses in the system to help clarify electrical shorts. It is, at best, a mess.

If you decide to completely gut your wiring, I have a schematic I gleaned from here many years ago that someone created that is a heck of a lot better implementation of wiring.

Also, Terry is about 80% right all the time so he could be spot on about the alternator. Anyway to take it to the local NAPA and have it tested before you open the box on the new one?

/ Weird electrical puzzler - breaker pops, the PT1850 runs better until it's shut off #17  
Well Welcome back Mike.

I think the big question is why is the breaker going. Once the breaker pops, you are on borrowed time, as there is nothing to keep the alternator from undergoing a field reversal and swapping +/-.

I suspect that once the breaker goes that your circuit is being back fed by the alternator, which probably isn't doing anything any good. I suspect your strobe is electronic and it is probably objecting to the half rectified AC it is getting from the alternator, or worse swapped positive and negative.

I would check the current flowing through the starter solenoid from the key to rule out a bad switch that pulls too much current. If it isn't a bad switch, then I would check the alternator. If one of those does fix your issue, I would double check at all of the wires off of Yellow that the current load is reasonable, i.e. you don't have a bad solenoid somewhere (e.g. draft control) that is pulling extra current and blowing the breaker.

Good luck, and please keep us posted.

All the best,

Peter

/ Weird electrical puzzler - breaker pops, the PT1850 runs better until it's shut off #18  
hmm... that last post has a few electrical thinko's in it.

1, according to schematic, and even in moderm auto electronics.. the alternator is designed to carry all electral loads and charge the storage battery. ( so the 'backfed' isn't an issue. that's normal.. the obvious circuit fault is an open at the breaker.. rest of the electron travel path works out on paper ok, thru the switch ( IMHO.. BAD DESIGN )

with the breaker popped.. the alt is still carrying all the loads.. you might get a high unloaded voltage if any of the laods it carries suddenly opens. IE.. lamps get turned off.. that's where the battery helps keep everything average.

Half wave? surely not....

5 minutes with a vom and it would be easy to see what circuits are powered and which ones are not. also verify system voltage.

a couple seconds witht he meter and a shunt for the breaker and more tests could go. obviously whatever load is present that is tripping the breaker is not exceeding50a for the main system fuse.

Draft control solenoid gets it's low power field control from yellow.. yellow is D+.. meaning yellow would have to see the FULL output of D+ before any current flowed from the battery... furthermore.. if that was a load issue, just popping the breaker wouldn't aleviate the load from the draft solenoid on the yellow source.. it would continue, presumably becoming evident quickly with 20++ amps on that control circuit wiring.

remember.. in a net charge system.. current will flow from yellow D+ to red ( battery ).. thus the alt is handling all common electrical loads.. not the battery.

Also.. OP I believe mentioned a volt meter.

I do not see this meter present in the schematic.. knowing where that meter is referencing V+ would tell us a few clues as it sees a Vdrop before breaker popping, then nominalV afterwards.. meaning in is PRE breaker.

If there was ANY chance of polarity reversal.. that volt meter would show it with a negative deflection. Thus I discount that theory.

I'd also like to see where the strobe is sourcing power, as I do not believe it is sourcing it from D+ as indicated.

/ Weird electrical puzzler - breaker pops, the PT1850 runs better until it's shut off #19  
I'd guess that the strobe is wired into some point other than the diagram, so when the breaker pops, its dead.

Everything that still works after the breaker pops is on the yellow wire.

How is the yellow wire getting power if the breaker is popped? The only path back to the battery is through the ignition switch and then through the starter solenoid.

/ Weird electrical puzzler - breaker pops, the PT1850 runs better until it's shut off #20  
I'd guess that the strobe is wired into some point other than the diagram, so when the breaker pops, its dead.

Everything that still works after the breaker pops is on the yellow wire.

How is the yellow wire getting power if the breaker is popped? The only path back to the battery is through the ignition switch and then through the starter solenoid.

no.. yellow is connected to D+ the alt output..

I can't think of a spot the strobe could be that could NOT get power with the breaker popped. it's either in the yellow feed path.. on one side of the breaker.. or it's inthe red feed path onthe other side of the breaker. it should be seeing either alternator output.. or battery.. it can't be seeing battery or it would run all the time.

it can't be in the starter line off the switch as it would only see power when starting.

it must be yellow or green. green carries fuel , and is presumable how the machine is key on / off. so if that still works.. green is powered.