Weird part welded on 4wd lever on Ford 1710

/ Weird part welded on 4wd lever on Ford 1710 #1  

Kirby7887

Tractor
Ford 1710 and Cub Cadet 1450
I have a 1983 ford 1710 4wd and there a mystery piece welded on the 4wd lever as pictured. Doesn’t let it go fully down. Could there have been a problem before I got it? Is it bad?

Thanks everyone for advise.

Attachments

• 393C1223-2FF2-46BE-B531-CC310871BB72.jpeg
    393C1223-2FF2-46BE-B531-CC310871BB72.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 460
   / Weird part welded on 4wd lever on Ford 1710 #2  
Looks like a previous owner had hired hands that blew out the front axle and that was the solution?

/ Weird part welded on 4wd lever on Ford 1710 #3  
Well, if it engages then I don't think it's bad.
It may be acting as a stop so the lever wouldn't go all the way down.
Perhaps the previous owner wanted to engage it with gloves on and if it dropped down too far, made it difficult to get a grasp.

/ Weird part welded on 4wd lever on Ford 1710 #4  
True. I tend to sway towards worst case scenario. I guess the biggest question is if it engages FWA or not.

/ Weird part welded on 4wd lever on Ford 1710 #5  
I have a 1983 ford 1710 4wd and there a mystery piece welded on the 4wd lever as pictured. Doesn’t let it go fully down. Could there have been a problem before I got it? Is it bad?

Thanks everyone for advise.
Does it go down far enough to let the 4x4 engage?

/ Weird part welded on 4wd lever on Ford 1710 #6  
Lifting up on the lever engages the 4 wd.

Some people just step down on this lever to disengage 4 wd. Most of these do not disengage easily without keeping wheels straight and changing direction to take pressure off the drive train.

It looks like the lever got damaged and when they repaired it, they got it in the wrong position.

This fix possibly keeps the gear in the proper position when not in 4 wd.

Last edited:
   / Weird part welded on 4wd lever on Ford 1710
Lifting up on the lever engages the 4 wd.

Some people just step down on this lever to disengage 4 wd. Most of these do not disengage easily without keeping wheels straight and changing direction to take pressure off the drive train.

It looks like the lever got damaged and when they repaired it, they got it in the wrong position.

This fix possibly keeps the gear in the proper position when not in 4 wd.
What specifically could the original problem have been. It does go into 4wd and 2wd no problem.

Last edited:
   / Weird part welded on 4wd lever on Ford 1710
   / Weird part welded on 4wd lever on Ford 1710 #10  
OK. Sounds like your good to go then. Just be nice to it, gears for the front end on those are like findin' hens teeth anymore. Proper ballast and servicing when needed keep most of those problems at bay though. Solid little tractors.