Weirdest close call with-OUT tragic results

/ Weirdest close call with-OUT tragic results #61  
Back when I was invincable... I was sitting atop a super A tractor on the gas tank. My buddy was driving as he was about two years older and it was his dads tractor. On this day (Labor day) we were heading into the tobbaco fields after a 1/2 day off as it was the first day of school. We were riding down the road, 4th gear wide open. Wind in our face, ears flapping in the wind, no wait that was my old dawg and I... Anyway we WERE riding down teh road 4th gear, when unbeknownst to me my buddy decided to make a hard left at full speed. Didn't even drop a single rpm as we jutted hard left. Just at that moment I being caught completely off guard fell head first down toward the rear wheel. My buddy who had pretty good reflexes but not real good common sense, jammed on the right brake hard. I finished falling down barely missing having my head fall in front of the rear wheel. The tractor ran over meon my left foot grating my foot into the pavement and dragging me and my hiney like a cheese grater on the road.

I don't remember much about the chain of events after that. I do remember driving to our local hospital and them saying here are a couple of aspirins you need to go somewhere else. We drove on to the city I stuck my foot over a bucket and commenced to fill it it while holding on to my ankle foot to slow the flow. Doc had to clean all the gravel and other dirt from the two down to the bone holes in my foot. Had a road rash about 6inches in diameter on my left buttock. Didn't hurt nearly as much to clean that one after going through the first one.

Spent a week in the hosiptal. Lying there I could smell the rotting flesh from my foot. Had a funny experience at the morgue too. I was rambling around the hospital on a wheel chair poking around just exploring. I wheeled around and in to a room and immediatly I knew this was not a good place t be at. I had indavertently gone into the morgue. I high wheeled it back to my room after that, for a little while.

Despite what the doc said I am/was able to walk, run and pretty much anything without a limp. The Lord does look out for even us/the ignorant ones. :D

Wow, you are very lucky you were not killed!

/ Weirdest close call with-OUT tragic results #63  
You have that right!! Some 34 years later and I can recall every detail!! It's amazing how time slows to a crawl in those situations!

The very next week the newspaper did an article on the family (and myself). I had my picture taken unloading grain into that very elevator - wearing those "patched up" coveralls. I never mentioned my little adventure to anyone, but the day the photographer was there - I sure was nervous I would do something klutzy and it would end up in the paper!!

Thank goodness they didn't hear of the time a few weeks later when I left the key on in the combine. The electric fuel pump dumped about 50 gallons of diesel in the shed. Oops! That was a mess. :)

LOL:laughing::laughing::laughing:

/ Weirdest close call with-OUT tragic results #64  
A couple years ago my wife's uncle died and he had all the farm equipment from his inlaws. Since I was the only one even remotely interested in some of the equipment I was allowed to take what I wanted. One item was a cultipacker. I loaded it on the trailer and drove home. Once home I pulled out my tractor, Farmtrac 270, and lifted it off the trailer with my bucket. I did have loaded tires but no other counter weight. So I got it off and started down a gentle slope. I then turned up the slope when things started to go all wrong. I felt the tractor tipping over the outside front wheel. I pushed in the clutch thinking I should slow down even though I was not going very fast to begin with. That made the tractor tip more so I then thought I would jump off. Well I had my seat belt on so all I could do was lean. My foot then slipped off the clutch making the tractor move back under the cultipacker. I slowly drove down hill until it leveled out while I tried to assess how bad my pants were.

/ Weirdest close call with-OUT tragic results #65  
Knock wood, my worst mishap with my tactor has been getting too close to a fence and snagging a tee-post out of the ground and wrapped around my fel before I even realize I was too close. Doesn't even make the top 500, I am sure.

My Weirdest close call was while working on my Mercury Sable. It had been sitting for a few months before I had a chance to work on it and the battery had gone dead. It was about 10 feet out of reach of my longest extension cord and my booster box. Fortunately it was sitting on mostly level ground, very slight downhill slope to the rear and the house. I figured I could roll it back easily enough. My next problem was the small depressions the tires had made over the months. It didn't roll out of the dips as easy as I had hoped. I was sitting in the car with the door open and my leg outside rocking the car to get it moving. I was alone and did not want to have to chase the car to stop it.

What I didn't count on was the tip of my shoe getting caught under the front tire as it popped over the lip of the tire depression. As the car rolled back, I found my foot under the front tire and I was slowly dragged out of the car. I was able to keep my right leg inside the car and close enough to the brake pedal to salvage the situation. I ended up with some nasty scrapes on my left leg and a bruised ankle, but I could still walk easily and the contusions healed. No property damage, no lasting injuries, but a couple more inches of dragging would have been a much different story.