Welcoming Avivii - flail mower

/ Welcoming Avivii - flail mower #11  
I had to replace a blade bolt right away. The bolt was part way out and bent. I had to dress the threads with a 5/8-10 tap before replacing the bolt.

On close examination, it appeared that the old bolt had yellow plating remaining deep down in the threads.

Are you using Grade 8 or Grade 5 bolts for the blades?

I've tried both and broken both. I've found grade 8 lasts a bit longer.

/ Welcoming Avivii - flail mower #12  
The main thing I've found is the bushing inside the mower blade around the blade mounting bolts tend to elongate quickly, then the blade starts to wobble up and down. So I started spraying lube into that bushing about every hour or so when I stop to take a beverage break. That really seems to prolong the bushing life a lot.

/ Welcoming Avivii - flail mower #13  
Which one of you bought those special impregnated bolts? Sorry, I can't recall.

/ Welcoming Avivii - flail mower #14  
I bought oil impregnated bushings. For me, the main advance is greasing the bolt, the bushing and the inside of the blade with grease at the start of every day. That slowed both the wear, and the rate at which the bolts come loose.
I also use a 400ftlb impact wrench to put the bolts on. Grade 5, not 8. 5 is more malleable, and less likely to crack.
All the best, Peter

/ Welcoming Avivii - flail mower #15  
I threw half of a blade near the home and have never found it

btdt. Last blade I threw went right into the sidewall of my left front tire. Kind of an expensive day.

/ Welcoming Avivii - flail mower #16  
So, if a person were to wear one of those plastic face shields, it wouldn't do much good? Those things sure do sound dangerous. I don't have a bush hog yet but want to get one soon.

/ Welcoming Avivii - flail mower #18  
So, if a person were to wear one of those plastic face shields, it wouldn't do much good? Those things sure do sound dangerous. I don't have a bush hog yet but want to get one soon.

I think as long at you keep the deck on the ground, if the blade blows off, it should stay in it's path parallel to the ground. The blade is so heavy. The front of the machine should protect you, but the key word is "should" and not "will". With that said, if it comes out from underneath and bounces up and hits something, it could kill you or anyone else in the area. The debris it chops and blows out is another story. That stuff can fly out, hit things and bounce back at you, so eye and ear protection at a minimum (just like lawn mowing and weed eating), but the full face shield is a great idea and I'm probably going to switch to that the next time I operate it.

/ Welcoming Avivii - flail mower #19  
I believe that the chainsaw wire mesh is stronger, or at least my Stihl face shield seems tougher than my lexan clear face shield, but anything is better than nothing. I do the same when using a string trimmer. I also wear dust protection. I have had enough days coughing up alfalfa dust from when I used to grow alfalfa (hamster pellets, long story). I take the view that your lungs don’t need all that junk in them.

With the mower deck on the ground, you are out of the direct flight path, but the ricochet debris is a different story.

That said, I have had gravel and small twig sized bits of wood ping off my face shield, but nothing larger, yet.

I’ve said it before, but the great thing about the PT brush mower is that you get to level the brush before you go through it. I once was almost brushed out of my seat and into the path of a brush mower on a standard tractor. Let’s just say that those moments of terror have stayed with me over the years.

My blades haven’t gone very far, at least so far. I have lost a few bolts or bushings over the years, but none since I took to greasing everything before I start mowing for the day. I lift the deck up and put it on metal saw horses, get under it to use an impact wrench to get the bolts and blades off, grease them, and put them back on. It takes ten minutes or so start to finish.

All the best,

Peter

/ Welcoming Avivii - flail mower #20  
I wear eye protect, but will probably switch to either plastic or wire face shield. Also going to add the greasing to my maintenance.