Weld table, what tools are your favorite?

/ Weld table, what tools are your favorite? #1  

ArlyA

Houghton MI (the Lake Superior snow belt) USA
Tractor
Polaris Boss 6x6 with pods (tracks) Center actuating lawn mower by Husky
I built a weld work table this fall and loving it. Did a few project on it already and now I'm adding tools to it. What are you favorite tools and accessories do you have with ours? Do post pics.
1705069286680.jpeg
weld0744.jpg
weldtable0460.jpg

/ Weld table, what tools are your favorite? #4  
Like you, I love using the flap wheel on the grinder to smooth all the sharp edges away. I also see in the next picture that you have another grinder with the thin cutting disc. I wish I had 2 grinders so I wouldn't have to constantly switch the discs from cut to sand.

So using the .035 mig to weld thick metal, do you get good penetration/weld build up? Or do you have to make multiple passes, or lay it on extra thick with lots of swirling in one place then moving along?

/ Weld table, what tools are your favorite? #5  
Like you, I love using the flap wheel on the grinder to smooth all the sharp edges away. I also see in the next picture that you have another grinder with the thin cutting disc. I wish I had 2 grinders so I wouldn't have to constantly switch the discs from cut to sand.

So using the .035 mig to weld thick metal, do you get good penetration/weld build up? Or do you have to make multiple passes, or lay it on extra thick with lots of swirling in one place then moving along?
2? you need 3 grinders, 1 with cutting wheel, 1 with a grinder disk, and 1 with a flap disk! :)
Also, Get 3 identical ones! I have 3 different ones (one is 4" other 2 are 4.5") and they don't even use the same wrench and one needs a different shield for a cutoff wheel vs a flap wheel or grinding disk.
I am watching for my favorite of the 3 (The Milwaukee) to go on sale and I'm buying 2 more then I'll sell the other 2.

/ Weld table, what tools are your favorite? #6  
I actually bought a 2'x4' rolling welding table years ago when on a promotion sale and it has been so worth the money. It has the round holes spaced evenly for jigs and clamps. I (and my knees) just like having my workpiece at a comfortable height instead of kneeling on the concrete shop floor. I bought 2 clamps that sit in the holes for clamping pieces and they work really well.

/ Weld table, what tools are your favorite? #7  
I have 2 grinders with a course wheel, a fine wheel, a wire wheel, and a flap sander... and a 4 " belt sander with a 6" disc all mounted on a bench... then I also have a pair of handheld 4" disc grinders plugged in kept on a shelf under the Vise end of the workbench. A drawer filled with a variety of vice grips is handy.

/ Weld table, what tools are your favorite? #8  
I find a rotary positioner to be pretty handy for making nice welds around things

View attachment 846263
Kinda of what I use, sort of. I had an old Bison 3 jaw chuck (threaded) that I made a positioner out of. I turned and threaded a dummy spindle and mounted it on a variable speed drive that I can clamp to the welding table so it rotates at whatever speed I require to weld at, which is usually MIG but I do mostly TIG anyway.

I was given a 4x6 sheet of 3/8" hot rolled plate that I fabbed up legs (on industrial casters) that is at 'sitting' height. It came with no holes, so I laid it out and used my mag drill to drill the required holes at the correct spacing and I use the cam lock toggle clamps and various blocks to jig everything I weld up. I only did half the table. The other half is not drilled. I typically weld large stuff. I'd say the table weighs about 1000 pounds but rolls effortlessly on the industrial casters. far as grinders go, I use many, both air powered, cordless and corded and many different wheels and wire brushes and the table is hard grounded which is necessary when welding with high frequency TIG. I buy my wheels and flap discs in bulk. Cheaper that way. I really like the HF 4.5" grinding wheels when on sale, I vacuum them up but then I also have a 10" corded grinder for the big jobs. The HF thin kerf cut off wheels are nice as well but I don't use a lot of them as a rule. I much prefer a plasma cutter for severance.

/ Weld table, what tools are your favorite? #10  
Aluminum framing square, clamps.