Loader Weldable grab hooks

/ Weldable grab hooks #21  
Thanks again. Be careful with that duct tape.:)

Last edited:
   / Weldable grab hooks #22  
Im in agreement with kennyd , grade 100 is over kill. If you break the the grade 70 hooks , you have 1 STONG TRACTOR. I would stay with the 70. I also know that industial equipment does not use or build hooks on there equipment (late model) The reason Im told is called LIABILITY. The CAT dealer I talked to, told me they had lawsuits for hooks breaking and seriously hurting ,killing people. If YOU notice you will see no hooks on factory blades,or buckets . All my equipment has factory holes for Shackles . Im not saying hooks wont work , but if you need 100 grade hooks you must have 1 big HI LIFT. just my 0.02cts.

/ Weldable grab hooks #24  
Over the years I acquired a set of hooks that had two bolt holes in them they are 1/2 inch hooks I bolted them on then welded them on. They work great for 3/8 chain as well.
I have welded on hooks that were just for use with a pin to the chain, I ground the outside flat and welded them on then tested them with the max lift of the loader.
You never, ever rely on a chain, Never, do you position your self were if the chain breaks it can hit you. That is Russian Roulette, most times if I am pulling a heavy load, I put an old canvas tarp over the chain, I am just not in to that pain and agony stuff.
Just a thought!

/ Weldable grab hooks #25  
Yeah, it always shocks me when I see people under or in a dangerous position with a component that can break. What are they thinking?

/ Weldable grab hooks #26  
Image of factory chain hooks on a 1960's vintage John Deere 350 Crawler Loader.

By employing the 9300 backhoe attachment as a counterweight, I once loaded a scrap center pivot section of a 1940's Bucyrus power shovel. The section weighed in at 12,500 lbs at the scrap yard.
By raising the boom and curling the bucket then cribbing under the load to get another bite, managed to load and center the pivot section on a 42 inch high flatbed trailer.

Each chain was evidently carrying 6250 lbs, never gave a thought to the grab hooks failing (or the bucket or the boom failing).

The real stress on the hooks doesn't come from raising the boom alone but from curling the bucket which creates maximum lift.

350ChainHook.jpg