Welded on bucket tooth. Kubota bucket

/ Welded on bucket tooth. Kubota bucket #1  

joea99

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B21, JD 240GT
Got a spare bucket, a Kubota BT1953A. I was thinking using it as a smooth bucket, no teeth for occasional use.

But, the two outer teeth are welded on, the rest are bolt on. Not that experienced but I've only every seen all bolted or all welded.

It also appears the bot holes may have been welded up, or, the bolt heads and nuts broken off in some prior life and that is why they are welded. In any case, the "holes" where the bolts would go are solid.

I'd like to retain the ability to put the teeth back on, all bolted at some point.

Looking for thoughts on how best to remove whatever is filling the "bolt holes", before grinding out the welds.

Have a cutting torch and plasma cutter but doubt I could manage a reasonably clean job of it.

/ Welded on bucket tooth. Kubota bucket #2  
Got a spare bucket, a Kubota BT1953A. I was thinking using it as a smooth bucket, no teeth for occasional use.

But, the two outer teeth are welded on, the rest are bolt on. Not that experienced but I've only every seen all bolted or all welded.

It also appears the bot holes may have been welded up, or, the bolt heads and nuts broken off in some prior life and that is why they are welded. In any case, the "holes" where the bolts would go are solid.

I'd like to retain the ability to put the teeth back on, all bolted at some point.

Looking for thoughts on how best to remove whatever is filling the "bolt holes", before grinding out the welds.

Have a cutting torch and plasma cutter but doubt I could manage a reasonably clean job of it.

Pictures always help!! Show us what you are dealing with and I'm sue we can come up with some recommendations.

/ Welded on bucket tooth. Kubota bucket #3  
Without seeing pictures, I'd guess grind the bolt hole filler material flush, then clamp another piece of thick metal that has been predrilled over the hole, and then use that as a guide to redrill the original hole.

These transfer punches are also helpful to have. Transfer Punch Set, 28 Pc. The problem is in punching the exact center unless there's enough outline of the original hole that you can use it to mark the center. So that's why I suggested using another piece of metal as a drill guide.

/ Welded on bucket tooth. Kubota bucket
Attached are the pictures I took, intending to attach to the first message.

Attachments

• 20220616_091223.jpg
    20220616_091223.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 47
  • 20220616_091210.jpg
    20220616_091210.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 46
   / Welded on bucket tooth. Kubota bucket #5  
I can't help you with getting the teeth off but I, like you, wanted a flat faced bucket. None to be had, so ordered a toothed bucket and had fab shop cut off the sub-tooth? after removing the teeth. Advantage was it was a new bucket so easy to see everything.

IMG_0994.jpg

/ Welded on bucket tooth. Kubota bucket #6  
Looks like there's enough outline of the hole that you could just about mark the center with a transfer punch and then drill it out with a series of drill bits.

/ Welded on bucket tooth. Kubota bucket
Looks like there's enough outline of the hole that you could just about mark the center with a transfer punch and then drill it out with a series of drill bits.

I can see the outlines pretty clearly. Some look like clean broken bolts others look maybe tack welded in the hole.

Gonna soak everything in Kroil for a couple days, then try and get the bolted ones free.

Maybe use a free tooth as a drill guide in some way.

/ Welded on bucket tooth. Kubota bucket #8  
Kroil is good stuff.

If the bolts are really stuck, I've found that heating them with a propane torch helps to expand things enough so the kroil will penetrate better. Keep in mind that it will burn. I wouldn't spray it when it's cherry red or so hot that it could flash back and explode the spray can. So be safe there.

If you have access to an air impact wrench, the knocking of low speed impact blows (change directions while doing this) can help to lossen stubborn bolts without snapping them off.

If the bolts are really stuck, going full force tends to snap them off.

Last edited: