Welder's eraser

/ Welder's eraser #1  

stuckmotor

Tractor
AC WD 34 hp/3500 lbs MF 261 60 hp/5380 lbs
I just ran on the pitch at the bottom for a "Welder's Eraser" on YouTube. It anyone here has ever used these sticks, I'd like to know:

How well they worked to remove a weld
How many amps you used
Whether you them it on AC or DC
Whether using them damaged the welder you used

Thanks,
Stuck

/ Welder's eraser #3  
Years ago, I'm talking decades so I don't remember a lot of the particulars, there was a salesman came to the shop trying to sell these. All I remember is I wasn't impressed a whole bunch as you couldn't gouge very deep and it didn't work that well in flat and the rods didn't last that long. Vertical down was ok but that was all. My thoughts were probably because I was used to an actual air arc.
They could have improved a lot since then but those are my memories of them.

/ Welder's eraser
Years ago, I'm talking decades so I don't remember a lot of the particulars, there was a salesman came to the shop trying to sell these. All I remember is I wasn't impressed a whole bunch as you couldn't gouge very deep and it didn't work that well in flat and the rods didn't last that long. Vertical down was ok but that was all. My thoughts were probably because I was used to an actual air arc.
They could have improved a lot since then but those are my memories of them.
Unless my ears deceive me, he says the rod "fires and spins at the end" and "it lifts and throws" all without compressed air. To top that off he picks up the metal bare handed after arcing on it. I don't understand the terms and the no heat part sounds like magic.

/ Welder's eraser #6  
Unless my ears deceive me, he says the rod "fires and spins at the end" and "it lifts and throws" all without compressed air.
Sales BS. The actual electrode burns back inside the flux causing the arc to be forced out thru the constricted opening. The 'force' of this is what's causing the melted metal caused by the arc to be pushed out of the way.....slightly.

To top that off he picks up the metal bare handed after arcing on it.
The piece is heavy enough to not heat up too much. Any molten metal is blown off the sample piece not like a weld where molten metal is deposited on the sample. You'll notice at 1:27 in the video he's not holding his hand on the top of the casting for any appreciable time.

/ Welder's eraser #8  
This simply a Champher Arc rod. Been around for Eons. They actually do work and require low amps.

The guy in the video is trying to spin it as some new miracle product.

/ Welder's eraser #9  
I just use my Hyper Therm plasma unit with the proper tip. Does the same thing and on any material that will conduct electricity and that includes TIG too as well as gas welded beads, not that I screw them up often as a watch what I'm doing and set my parameters correctly.

I own a carbon arc, air assisted scarfing tool, but rarely if ever use it. One it's messy and just downright dirty.