Welding a bucket cutting edge to softer metal ?

/ Welding a bucket cutting edge to softer metal ? #11  
For this particular project you would want to use 7018 that was properly taken care of! If not brand new right out of the box and into an oven.
But just so you know heated 7018 is not necessary for all projects. Sure heated 7018 runs much better, but for most projects around the house it is not needed.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/welding/211904-7018-break-test.html

/ Welding a bucket cutting edge to softer metal ? #12  
Are you using 7018 or 7018ac? Regular 7018 is a dc only rod and doesn't work well on ac only buzz boxes.

/ Welding a bucket cutting edge to softer metal ? #13  
i have welded cutting edges with no problem .with a ac buzz box i would use 1/8 6011.with pictures maybe i could help.

/ Welding a bucket cutting edge to softer metal ?
Here is blade pictures , the first two is when I had just used Lincoln AC 7018, gave up on that, and then used 6011 ............last picture was this weekend when I bought some farmers rod 7014 and just laid on a nice wide bead 3inches long , and I did four of those beads on front of blade and back of blade, (over the old welds that I ground flat). When I ground those welds I did not find any cracks . So it is messy , but I got to figure it will hold for my use of spreading gravel in driveway , or topsoil on lawn for low spots

I hope to paint the whole frame tonight. and add one more gusset at 45 degrees for box frame up to upper link area, and maybe a hitch ball.

Attachments

• DSCN1288.jpg
    DSCN1288.jpg
    530.4 KB · Views: 446
  • DSCN1289.jpg
    DSCN1289.jpg
    446.6 KB · Views: 383
  • DSCN1293.JPG
    DSCN1293.JPG
    940.3 KB · Views: 342
   / Welding a bucket cutting edge to softer metal ? #15  
Here is blade pictures , the first two is when I had just used Lincoln AC 7018, gave up on that, and then used 6011 ............last picture was this weekend when I bought some farmers rod 7014 and just laid on a nice wide bead 3inches long , and I did four of those beads on front of blade and back of blade, (over the old welds that I ground flat). When I ground those welds I did not find any cracks . So it is messy , but I got to figure it will hold for my use of spreading gravel in driveway , or topsoil on lawn for low spots

I hope to paint the whole frame tonight. and add one more gusset at 45 degrees for box frame up to upper link area, and maybe a hitch ball.

If you use the 7018 on that machine get the 7018AC you will reduce your frustration level greatly. I walked this road a long time ago. If you need max strength and durability then 7018AC is one of the best. :thumbsup:

/ Welding a bucket cutting edge to softer metal ? #16  
I have been welding for equipment repairs for the past 40 years. I never have been able to lay a good bead, especially off ZERO degrees, with an AC welder.
To me it is DC or no weld especially off ZERO.
I do know what 7018AC , I was forced to use it because the only welder was AC, is but it aint normal 7018 and id does not work for me.
I extensively use 7018, never an issue with it but it is suspectable to contamination and dirty storage, If I pick up a rod and it sticks I use it to fill the trash can, thats overkill but I do not want to spend time messing with a defective rod.
I have have 60 rod but don't remember the last ime I used some.
I use a little Hobart stickmate LX on DC it is a welder on AC it is a device to heat metal with.
I have used 7018 down to 1/16 and up to 5/32 on the stickmate. Above 1/4" I like 5/32, you can get it hot enough to get the base metal hot.
I recently connected some 4 X 4 X .5" angle, couple of passes of 7018 5/32 and it looks very good. Hasn't been stressed yet but I do not expect a problem.
Good luck with your welding projects.

/ Welding a bucket cutting edge to softer metal ? #17  
I have been welding for equipment repairs for the past 40 years. I never have been able to lay a good bead, especially off ZERO degrees, with an AC welder.
To me it is DC or no weld especially off ZERO.
I do know what 7018AC , I was forced to use it because the only welder was AC, is but it aint normal 7018 and id does not work for me.
I extensively use 7018, never an issue with it but it is suspectable to contamination and dirty storage, If I pick up a rod and it sticks I use it to fill the trash can, thats overkill but I do not want to spend time messing with a defective rod.
I have have 60 rod but don't remember the last ime I used some.
I use a little Hobart stickmate LX on DC it is a welder on AC it is a device to heat metal with.
I have used 7018 down to 1/16 and up to 5/32 on the stickmate. Above 1/4" I like 5/32, you can get it hot enough to get the base metal hot.
I recently connected some 4 X 4 X .5" angle, couple of passes of 7018 5/32 and it looks very good. Hasn't been stressed yet but I do not expect a problem.
Good luck with your welding projects.

I agree that DC is the way to go but for 15 years all I had was an AC machine and the 7018AC was for me a step up in usability for that Linde AC buzz box. I still use 7018AC on my dc machine because it strikes easier and because I still have some left over. I cook it in the grill for a bit when I need the strength of 7018.:thumbsup:

/ Welding a bucket cutting edge to softer metal ? #18  
after looking at wawajake's welds.i would recommend slowing down the rate of travel and weaving more .the metal you are working with is ideal for 1/8 6011.ac will weld it.

Thanks Cowski and everyone else, I will lay a few more beads tonight with 6011 , grind it then paint the whole thing . (that will hide the mess :laughing:

final pictures to follow

final results

haven't tried yet because we still have snow here and I plan on using it for gravel and topsoil spreading. The old sattelite dish's predrilled circle I used for swivel had holes predrilled to make it sit at 90 degrees and 45 degrees , but I see that the 45 degree might be too aggressive an angle , if it is I will drill some holes in the circle closer to 30 degrees.
With most of my projects being with wood (see even my cab is wood and plexi glass ) this was my first big welding project.

thanks for everyones advice !

Attachments

• DSCN1294.JPG
    DSCN1294.JPG
    969.5 KB · Views: 290
  • DSCN1297.JPG
    DSCN1297.JPG
    961.1 KB · Views: 276