Welding a Side-mount jack onto dump trailer

/ Welding a Side-mount jack onto dump trailer
"Don't forget about the potential of the trailer sitting lower once loaded making it impossible to get the pinned legs up."
This is why I don't like ramps with built-in "anti-squat" legs

If you drive forward, would the (weighted) hinged ramps flip up?

Storing a trailer up on four jacks might be a hassle use but a hassle to steal too. Especially if you removed the tongue jack and take it with you.

/ Welding a Side-mount jack onto dump trailer #22  
For the rear of my bobcat trailer, I've found that a couple wood blocks work really well.

If after loading the blocks are tight to the trailer, pulling forward frees them right up.
Generally not a problem though, I never "pack them in" tight since the trailer squatting a few inches before touching won't hurt anything.

/ Welding a Side-mount jack onto dump trailer #23  
"If you drive forward, would the (weighted) hinged ramps flip up?"

Not always an option - IME, too often you "run out of trailer" before you get enough tongue weight - if you're **** enough, SOMETIMES you can just BACK onto the trailer to change the CG - other times (like loading a dually), unless you have "drive over" fenders, that isn't an option. (or at least, not a PRETTY one :eek:)

My tendency is to keep things as "swiss army knife" as I think I might EVER need - which is probly why my projects always take longer than they should :rolleyes: - not everybody will need (or want) all the options people suggest, but SOMETIMES that's just because they haven't THOUGHT of 'em, or considered what else that change would allow.

To me, that's the big advantage of forums like this - whether modding an existing device, buying one, or building from scratch, you're more likely to be happy with that device if you start with an INFORMED option list and check off the ones you can't (or don't wanna) live without (or figure out you can add LATER, like a better tongue jack :D)...Steve

"I never "pack them in" tight since the trailer squatting a few inches before touching won't hurt anything." - Good point Dave, bet YOUR projects tend to happen quicker than MINE :laughing:

I meant "flip the ramps up" by driving the truck/trailer forward a couple feet. Like dragging it off the blocks.

/ Welding a Side-mount jack onto dump trailer #25  
I meant "flip the ramps up" by driving the truck/trailer forward a couple feet. Like dragging it off the blocks.

The best remedy for that is to “double hinge” the ramps. Also eliminates the need for rear stabilizers on the corners of the deck.

Sorry no pics. My trailer is long gone.

Nice job, photos and documentation, Sodo!

/ Welding a Side-mount jack onto dump trailer #26  

That's what I had to do with my old trailer. It really wasn't that big of a deal, but wouldn't work with a pin down leg because it would just get bent. I've never had the ramps not folding up loaded problem with the big tex.

/ Welding a Side-mount jack onto dump trailer #27  
"I never "pack them in" tight since the trailer squatting a few inches before touching won't hurt anything." - Good point Dave, bet YOUR projects tend to happen quicker than MINE :laughing:

You might be right, but it depends which year I actually start a project - I tend to "think for a while" :D

/ Welding a Side-mount jack onto dump trailer #28  
You might be right, but it depends which year I actually start a project - I tend to "think for a while" :D

After I get the design thought out enough time has passed that I don't need half of the potential projects anymore.

Last edited:
   / Welding a Side-mount jack onto dump trailer #29  
After I get the design though out enough time has passed that I don't need half of the potential projects anymore.

I resemble that remark :D

"If a man says he'll do something, he will. There's no need to remind him every 6 months, he's going to do it..." ;)

After I get the design thought out enough time has passed that I don't need half of the potential projects anymore.

Let 'em sit. Then you can see better which ones have priority. Don't just prioritize the easy ones prioritize the ones that save you time or add value.

Here's an example. I thought about someone un-pinning my side-mount jack and stealing it, perhaps just to be a PITA. So I chained it.
But the only time the jack can be stolen is while the trailer is attached to my truck, which is not that often, and usually it's not parked somewhere unwatched for weeks; as the trailer is. But when the trailer is parked on its own, the weight of the trailer is on the jack. Thief has to find some blocks and off-load the jack first - thus not a likely snatch&grab. if I'da thought about this maybe crossed this project off the list.

577453d1541359101-welding-side-mount-jack-onto-img_3568_chain-jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3568_chain.jpg
    IMG_3568_chain.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 195