Welding a SSQA plate onto pallet forks

/ Welding a SSQA plate onto pallet forks #1  

houser52

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M7060HD, Kubota L3600
I wasn't sure the best place to ask this question but...

I'm switching my pin on loader to SSQA. I already have pin on pallet forks and have ordered a cut out SSQA plate to weld to the fork's frame.

The pin on brackets or part of them will have to be removed in order to weld on the plate and would like opinions about the best way to weld it on. The top of the plate can be welded directly to the the frame's round tubing at the top of the brackets. The fork's frame is 48" wide and the SSQA plate is 45"-46" so I can't held it directly to the sides of the frame.

I have thought about cutting the brackets even with sides of the fork's frame and welding the plate to what's left of the 4 remaining parts of the brackets. That would put the SSQA plate almost flush with the back of the fork's frame and keep the weight closer to the tractor.

I have also thought about cutting off that part of the brackets just below the pin holes following the existing angle of the bracket and welding on the plate at the same existing angle but that will put the weight out a few inches away from the tractor.

Or should I go a whole different route?

What are some thoughts from you all?

/ Welding a SSQA plate onto pallet forks #2  
Hi, houser. You and I have been following the same thread on converting a LA68x loader to SSQA. I vote for 'something different'. Since your forks appear to be in good shape, perhaps it would be a good idea to sell them outright to someone with the Kubota QA or someone who wants pin-on forks - I'm guessing 3-400 dollars? Save the cost of the weld-on plate 100-150... and buy a set of SSQA forks. I paid 575 new for a nice set locally this weekend. Pin-on forks from the same dealer would have cost 100 dollars MORE.

If that is not acceptable, my second vote would be

""I have thought about cutting the brackets even with sides of the fork's frame and welding the plate to what's left of the 4 remaining parts of the brackets. That would put the SSQA plate almost flush with the back of the fork's frame and keep the weight closer to the tractor.""

Just try to keep the geometry correct.

Good luck.

/ Welding a SSQA plate onto pallet forks
Hi, houser. You and I have been following the same thread on converting a LA68x loader to SSQA. I vote for 'something different'. Since your forks appear to be in good shape, perhaps it would be a good idea to sell them outright to someone with the Kubota QA or someone who wants pin-on forks - I'm guessing 3-400 dollars? Save the cost of the weld-on plate 100-150... and buy a set of SSQA forks. I paid 575 new for a nice set locally this weekend. Pin-on forks from the same dealer would have cost 100 dollars MORE.

If that is not acceptable, my second vote would be

""I have thought about cutting the brackets even with sides of the fork's frame and welding the plate to what's left of the 4 remaining parts of the brackets. That would put the SSQA plate almost flush with the back of the fork's frame and keep the weight closer to the tractor.""

Just try to keep the geometry correct.

Good luck.

Thanks. Yea we're both doing the change over and I've been following your progress. Did you get your quick attach and get it on with the needed spacers? Pics?

The forks aren't that old. I had thought about selling them but they are lightweight and I like them. I also wasn't sure how soon they would sell since they are pin on but, they also fit about a dozen different Kubota loader models with the same pin on specs. Hard to tell how long it would take to sell them.

Since the forks can be removed I could probably ship them by truck flat on a pallet if I needed to. I'll have to think about it

Double post

/ Welding a SSQA plate onto pallet forks #6  
Keep in mind
that you need to build in some angle (while level) to allow for decent "roll back" of the forks while at ground level.
try to keep everything "tight" or close in to the tractor.
I'd wait until you have both sides of the ssqa hitch before you started, and you know we need pics!:thumbsup:

Keep in mind
that you need to build in some angle (while level) to allow for decent "roll back" of the forks while at ground level.
try to keep everything "tight" or close in to the tractor.
I'd wait until you have both sides of the ssqa hitch before you started, and you know we need pics!:thumbsup:

I figured there was an angle from the factory for a reason but didn't know why. Other SSQA mounts that I have seen online are mounted flat against the fork's frame while others are angled.

/ Welding a SSQA plate onto pallet forks #9  
I figured there was an angle from the factory for a reason but didn't know why. Other SSQA mounts that I have seen online are mounted flat against the fork's frame while others are angled.

My loader came with SSQA stock & my Tytan SSQA forks are straight. I barely have enouhg roll back. I can drop the forks past straight down, but only tilt the tips a little past level. A little extra roll back might be a good idea. I've yet to have any problems with mine, but some additional rollback would be more useful than additional dump angle.

I built a SSQA to 3pt adapter with no roll back & have the same issue. If I ever build another I'll add about 15 degrees of rollbackbetween the 3pt quick hitch & SSQA plate instead mounting them directly to each other.

Fallon- Thanks for the info. I knew the manufacturer had put some angle to it for a reason. My plate should be here in a couple days and then I'll be able to lay it out correctly.