Welding Helmet Light

/ Welding Helmet Light #1  

Big Barn

Tractor
More than 40 over the years. Ten at any one time. Mostly Ford and New Holland
Other members have posted good results adding a LED light to their helmet.

The lack of natural light this time of year (in the Northern latitudes) prompted me to give it a try.

I picked this up as it was readily available and easy to return if necessary from my local Canadian Tire store.

Adjustments.jpg

It’s way bigger than I would like as it utilizes 3 triple A batteries but it tilts which i think is kind of important.

Here it is mounted at forehead height on my helmet. It is currently angled to provide usable light and as you can see it makes it kind of awkward and clumsy.

IMG_0943.jpg

However I REALLY like the light it provides for welding but ideally I would like to find a thin small diameter LED which uses a coin battery and try mounting it in the “chin” position of the helmet. (BELOW the lens)

/ Welding Helmet Light
I should mention apparently Miller offers a retrofit light kit for their Elite line of helmets. I saw a local ad for them for $55 CDN.

And Optrel has a new lid with a built in light.

/ Welding Helmet Light #3  
VERY interesting. Did some pretty good welding last night, but it's only because I am getting the knack of welding what I can't see. Heck, I am welding more and more without a helmet, just closing my eyes. What's the point? I can't see anyway.

/ Welding Helmet Light #4  
I recently replaced the lens cover inside/outside on my cheapy Northern Tool auto darkening helmet and was amazed how much better I could see my work pieces !

/ Welding Helmet Light #5  
VERY interesting. Did some pretty good welding last night, but it's only because I am getting the knack of welding what I can't see. Heck, I am welding more and more without a helmet, just closing my eyes. What's the point? I can't see anyway.

I seriously hope you were kidding when you say you have been welding without a hood. Closing your eyes does not stop the harmful rays.

/ Welding Helmet Light #6  
I seriously hope you were kidding when you say you have been welding without a hood. Closing your eyes does not stop the harmful rays.
Maybe in IT's case, his vision will miraculously improve? :laughing: :cool:

/ Welding Helmet Light #7  
It couldn't get much worse. A tan this time of year looks good. I don't believe the "rays" go through eye lids. I sure would not want to burn my eye lids though, so I am aware of how much welding I have to do. I have had UV welding sunburn on my arms and it's no fun.

/ Welding Helmet Light #8  
SNIP
It’s way bigger than I would like as it utilizes 3 triple A batteries but it tilts which i think is kind of important. SNIP

I was out tonight with my 2 battery headlight and wishing I had taken the three battery job that provides more lumens. My eyes aren't the best.

/ Welding Helmet Light #9  

Are you welding with mig or stick? A pro welder told me he could weld without looking just by the sound. I though at the time he meant stick. It finally occurred to me he might have using mig and he died before I got around to asking him.

/ Welding Helmet Light #10  
MIG. I agree. I have no trouble welding by feel. Where the bead goes is anybody's guess though. But that's no worse than trying to see when on flat material.