welding helmets?

/ welding helmets? #1  

Wingnut

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3710 GST
hey folks ... anybody had any experience with the new electronic auto darkening welding helmets?
I'm finally hetting my shop to the point where I may soon be able to start using it ... and one of my first projects will be fixing the rust "spots" on my horse trailer ... in other words, some serious welding. I've been thinking about trading my cheapy helmet in for one of those new things ... but hate to shell out that kind money if they're not all that great.
And since we have everything from us computer geeks to rocket scientists on this forum ... where better to ask?

too bad that common sense ain't

/ welding helmets? #2  
Wingnut, I've never used one of the electronic helments but I have done a lot of looking into them. I plan to buy one. Here is what I found. First, only the best of them have variable shades. Most are fixed at shade 10. Shade 10 is too dark for me. My old eyes adjust too slowly and with a 10, I find I'm welding in the wrong place by the time my eyes adjust. Also, the cheaper ones have a very limited viewing area, generally around 1.5". The better ones have twice that. I think, generally, they all have nearly the same reaction time. Some use batteries, some rely on solar (from the arc). I'm told the battery ones are best. It seems like you'll have to spend around $250 to get the features that I think I need.

Larry...

/ welding helmets? #3  
Wingnut,
Both of our welders at our machine shop have them the new helmets but rather use the old style.
I did indeed try one of those helmets and I felt uncomfortable or non trusting so I to use my old style helment.
Trying to teach old dog new tricks...I'll just stay w/ my omni 12 shade full face helmet.

Which brand helmet are you considering.

Hope that horse trailer has been washed real good before welding. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ welding helmets? #4  
I thought those new helmets would be great, but I've never actually used one for welding; just tried them out at the dealer's place, but decided it was just too much money for the small amount of welding I do. Now, LarryT and Thomas make me wonder./w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

Bird

/ welding helmets? #5  
Larry,

<font color=blue>"My old eyes adjust too slowly" </font color=blue>

I can sure relate to that. I use a 500 Watt halide work light that I put as close to the work as practical, this helps me see the work and the end of the rod a lot sooner. The glass on the light is all pitted and ugly but it still works.

/ welding helmets? #6  
Allen, <font color=blue>
I can sure relate to that. </font color=blue>
Ditto, and reditto. I thought about doing something like like that, but thought the light would be destoyed. From what you've said I intend to try it.
What I really need is a helmet that transforms me into a real welder whenever I put it on/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif Now for that I'd pay $250.00 /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Ernie
"You can plainly see that the Alamo was never built by a military people for a fortress."
Green Jameson, Jan 1836 (in a letter to Sam Houston)

/ welding helmets? #7  
I have a freind that has one and says its great but the only thing to worry about is if you stick the rod then unstick it fast and strike another weld the cycle time on the hood is a tad slow when this happens. of course this could be by brand and quality but he usaully buys quality.

/ welding helmets? #8  
Good suggestion on the 500W light Twinkeltoes, I'll try that next time for sure. Don't know why I haven't done it already. Oh well, I guess thats why we pool our brain cells!

Larry...

/ welding helmets? #9  
Twinkle Toes, I thought I was the only one using a light like that if I can't get my work out in the sun, but that's exactly what I have to do (and I have cheaters in my helmet, too)./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Bird

/ welding helmets? #10  
Hey Bird,

<font color=blue>I have cheaters in my helmet, too</font color=blue>

What the heck could they possibly be? Is that something to keep the light from comming in the back of the helmet?