Welding in a Wooden Barn

/ Welding in a Wooden Barn #21  
Okay stingray1 Don't WHAT?

1) put up drywall
2) tape the joints
3) have a brighter area

all the above sound good to me but you say "Don't" could you expand on that? I have been thinking of adding drywall.

He might have been referring to not welding in a wooden barn?

/ Welding in a Wooden Barn #22  
I am an old guy that can outsmart myself. I want to learn to weld small engine mufflers. No shop so was trying stick in the back yard since I learned mig needed no wind. I was not getting the results I had hoped for with stick so really wanted to try mig. Had a small porch on the back of the house. Roof, concrete floor, and studs for screen. I added studs to accommodate 4 x 8 wooden panels on the outside. Now I've been thinking of adding 5/8" thick fire retardant dry wall on the inside. Will this be safe enough or do I need something more expensive. I am on a tight budget.

/ Welding in a Wooden Barn #23  
Shadetree, To me, the most important part is to not have any "ledge" or pocket where a spark can sit and smolder. Smooth walls and a tight ceiling / wall joint so everything falls to the floor. High gloss paint will cover the drywall paper and make it slippery. Good house keeping takes commitment. no flammables anywhere in sight.

/ Welding in a Wooden Barn #24  
To me, the most important part is don't weld in the structure you live in....

/ Welding in a Wooden Barn #25  
To me, the most important part is don't weld in the structure you live in....

Wish I would have said that because it's what I believe. Never endanger your home.

/ Welding in a Wooden Barn #26  
With goggles or a welding helmet on, you won't realize it until its kinda too late to stop it.

I agree with this. I welding some greasy metal and stopped to wipe some of the grease off with a rag soaked in lacquer thinner. What I didn't realize was that I had dripped some of the lacquer thinner onto my leather welding glove. Didn't realize the glove was on fire until I stopped to see why my hand was getting so hot.

I can also attest to just a single spark igniting a piece of punky wood located 50' away. For this reason, I do all of my hot work outside of the barn. Sucks having to drag all the tools outside, but it's a whole lot safer.