Welding Methods

/ Welding Methods #1  

TonyC

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota 1997 L3600DT 4WD with FEL
I am one of the "welding impaired" folks on this discussion board. Over the years I have acquired an ARC welder and a gas welder but lack the skill to use them properly. I would like to change that and I thought I should first choose one of those to concentrate on. Which method is used most for the kind of projects I see on this board? Is there one method that's more universal? Also, I would appreciate any recommendation on books or videos for the very, very beginner. I've already looked...there's no "Welding for Dummies"!

/ Welding Methods #2  
Hi Tony,

Well, you're a step ahead of me as far as equipment goes....I don't own any welding gear. However I decided that the best way to learn about the types of welding and what would suit my needs best, would be to take a course. I am now part way through an evening "just-for-fun" kind of course. We have done acetylene-oxygen gas welding (fusion welding and brazing) as well as gas torch cutting. Over the next month or so we will do arc welding, MIG, TIG and some other stuff I don't even have a clue what it is! /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif I would recommend that you check around in your area to see if such a course is available. (Just my $0.02 worth)

The end result I'm hoping, will be that I can decide what kind of welding "is for me" and go from there. From what I can see so far nothing is too hard...just takes lots of practice!!!!

Kevin

/ Welding Methods #3  
Tony,
I would try your local welding supplies store to see if they can recommend any local courses that you can take. Also network with some welders that may frequent the store. You may find one of them nice enough to help you out with some lessons.
Good luck
Dale

/ Welding Methods #5  
Pete,

After some of the "welds" (and I use the term very loosely/w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif) that I've done in this class, I'm thinking that scrap metal is too good for my skill level!!! Seriously though, you are absolutely correct. I think my first project will have one built out of scrap and the "real" project built out of the material I have to pay good money for!!!

Kevin

/ Welding Methods #6  
Somebody puts out a welding for dummies type book, I bought one but of course I do not know where it is so I can tell you the title. It was found in a Home Depot (or Lowe's or...) in the welding supplies section. It mostly just covers different types of welding and how they are done and some basics for each welding process. It was a good book to learn about the different processes but not a good book to learn about how to really weld well. There is a lot to being a good stick welder and a book that is all about it is probably in order. It looks to me like it is time for a trip to the library/w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif.

/ Welding Methods #7  
The best story I have on welding practice was the wife of a damage control tech back in my navy days who decided to take up welding in order to have something in common with her husband. She picked up all sort of scrap metal, and diligently practiced on it out in the driveway in front of the house. They lived in navy housing near a major street that led to a very rich part of town. As the rich folks drove past, they noticed this tiny woman (4'10") creating "artwork" in her driveway. Rhiannon had a cold spot in her heart for rich snobs, so when they asked her what the "art" represented she'd snarl at them "It's plain as day! Are you blind or just uncultured?" Not wanting to appear uncultured, the rich folk bought her "art" at an incredible rate...and at prices that made my jaw drop!

Pete

www.GatewayToVermont.com

/ Welding Methods #8  
The local High school / VOTC here offers adult evening classes on welding.
You may want to check with your local school district.

/ Welding Methods #9  
Tony
The "new" electronic helmets make it much easier for the beginner to strike an arc. They've been out long enough that the price has come down to a reasonable level.
While we're spending your money, the wire feed machines are generally easier to use, esp. on lighter materials.
Also, in your studies, when you come across the words "watch the pool", pay particular attention- this is what's important. And, as Kevin said - Lotsa practice.

waver.gif
<font color=green>stan</font color=green>

/ Welding Methods #10  
A neighbor of mine helped me weld up some stuff for my tractor and has one of the electronic helmets. I was amazed at how "easy" it made welding. I used one of the older type helmets and had a heck of time seeing what he was doing. If I'm not mistaken, he paid about $150-$175 dollars for it. He said it has paid for itself in cutting down on the number of mistakes made.

Terry