Welding on a Tractor

/ Welding on a Tractor #1  

EricM

Tractor
Yanmar YM2000,FX265D,YM3110D
I have a spring bracket that broke off towards the lower half of the transmission case (thick metal area). I need to weld it back on. Are there any special concerns when doing this? Any explosion or fire risk? Do I need to drain the hydraulic fluid?

/ Welding on a Tractor #2  
Consider the following: 1. keep the ground clamp for the electric arc welder near where you are welding. 2. Draining hydraulic fluid sounds good. 3. leave fill cap cracked open a little so expanding gasses can escape. 4. undo battery and altanator wires. You don't want to burn out any diods inside. 5. You are probably welding on a casting. Watch your heat level.

Dick

/ Welding on a Tractor #3  
First. Is it cast iron that you are welding? If so. You need to use a suitable electrode ( made for cast). Preheat the area gently with a propane torch to pre-expand the metal and prvent heat cracking. I wouldn't drain the fluid, as this will help to disipate the heat from the welder. It won't take long enough to create enough fumes to be a fire hazzard. If in doubt do it in 2 attempts rather than build up to much heat in one go.
Alternate choice. If the is a stud or bolt nearby, you might make a bracket to fastem to the bolt and attach the spring to it.

/ Welding on a Tractor #4  
Might even try brasing it.. or using your propane torch and one of those allow solder rods made for cast and aluminum.. just depends on the strength you need.

Soundguy

/ Welding on a Tractor #5  
Apparently I missed the part about your arc welder, as opposed to acetylene. Do we assume you are using an arc welder?