Welding plastic

/ Welding plastic #1  

blacktruck

Gold Member
Tractor
Cub cadet 2450, JD 420, Ford LGT18H
Recently I have developed a need to weld a broken fender on my tractor. I did a search and ran across some old threads on this. I'll make a guess and think that most likely the technology to even do that has changed a bit since those were posted. Does anyone on here have any experience with a commercially available kit? My SIL collected most of the pieces after backing the tractor into the wall while cleaning out the shed but judging by the pieces in hand, I am thinking he didn't get them all. Any recommendations for filler material to use?

/ Welding plastic #2  
I have a bunch of plastic welding rods. My kit is a Steinel but there are lessor cost kits. Harbor Freight even has one. The latest plastic repair kit out there is the one that looks like a 2 tipped solder iron. It uses little staple looking wires. Pull the trigger with the staple installed and it turns light red. Simply push it into the 2 pieces. Repeat as needed. I've had good luck with it. Vids on line too. The regular plastic welding rods come in different breeds like HDPE, PVC, LDPE etc. You need to know what you're welding to be successful. The staples don't care.

/ Welding plastic #3  
recommendations for filler material to use
Plastic welding rod can be laid up one next to, or on top of, each other to fill gaps. You'll need to let the last one cool down before laying the next one.

/ Welding plastic #4  
I like to repair with the wires as noted above. It provides good stability and strength.
I will then melt the plastic in the area by lightly dragging one of the “hot” wires over the crack to fill it in once stabilized

/ Welding plastic #5  
I have a 200w amazon kit Amazon.com
Repaired a large in ground valve box that had been split and discarded when run over by a truck. Worked good. Looks like getting nice finished results might take some serious practice, sanding, painting, etc.
I used paperclips for stitches. Simply push them into the material across the break with the hot iron then weld over them.
My plan is to repair a leak in a 4k gallon water tank.

Attachments

• IMG_3384.JPG
    IMG_3384.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 46
   / Welding plastic
All good responses gents.
Much appreciated. I will look for a kit next time I go to HF. I have pretty good luck with everything I have bought there and it's handy to get to. After he damaged the tractor, I tries to replace the entire unit. Two problems with that. Price and availability. It was pretty high priced but I would have bought it anyway but the big problem there were none in the US or overseas to be had so it looks like I am going to learn plastic welding. Not that I am happy about the damage to my tractor, I am looking forward to repairing something like that. What is the typical material used in most small tractor fenders? I am sure there will be pieces missing so filler will be necessary.

/ Welding plastic #7  
I have a cracked fender extension on my M9 open station (bought it that way) that I need to fix at some point but I'll use fiberglass mat and resin on the underside and sand and paint the now cracked area.

Works good for me. In fact that is how I secured the OEM Riv nuts that got loose in the roof of my other M9 and strengthened the stress cracks as well and the roof is blow molded plastic.

Attachments

• 100_0005 (1).JPG
    100_0005 (1).JPG
    822.3 KB · Views: 51
   / Welding plastic #8  
What is the typical material used in most small tractor fenders?
You'd be amazed by the number of things made from the same plastic as Tupperware. Try it first in an inconspicuous spot of course.

/ Welding plastic #9  
You'd be amazed by the number of things made from the same plastic as Tupperware. Try it first in an inconspicuous spot of course.
I've done a lot of repairs on ATV plastic. Most of it is High density poly ethylene. HDPE. LDPE rods work fine on them as well. My tractor fender acts like ABS when I try to melt the grille cracks. I haven't figured it out. Fiber glass mat and resin didn't hold, several plastic rods didn't stick but I was able to do a nice repair with the staples. One other thing on the staples. You can buy them and just use a lineman pliers and hold the staple over a candle to heat it up. You really don't need the electric gun. You can even make your own staples out of thin stainless wire for custom repairs.

/ Welding plastic #10  
I've used the sub $20 soldering iron plastic welder from HFT and it works fine, do NOT press as the copper tip will break at the 6mm threads going into the iron when hot... but I've successfully ran a die down it and it lived again... it comes with some stainless screen material which you can bury in the plastic and help out.