Welding rear end of jd 4300

/ Welding rear end of jd 4300 #31  
I think it depends on what broke and what it looks like at the break site. If you paid money to have it fixed and it breaks again but shows a lack of penetration or improper procedure to repair it, then you may be able to get some of your money back. Some stuff is a crap shoot though. What bothers me is someone saying they can fix something when they don't really know what they are doing. Unfortunately, I've encountered this a few times.

/ Welding rear end of jd 4300
Without looking at a IPL for deere, my concern would have been whats on the other side of the weld. And would it do any damage to a seal or something inside?? Thats what I meant by saying I was suprised he welded it on the machine.

You know not long after I replied I started to wonder if I didn't misinterpret what you were saying:duh: Everything seems to be working ok for now. We'll see.

/ Welding rear end of jd 4300 #33  
Now that you mention it this is exactly what the material looks like! I've broken a fin off an aluminum prop before and no doubt, same stuff!

Thanks. I've made a contact to a guy that knows a guy... that is supposed to be able to weld anything. Fingers crossed!

I would like to know how yu came out on ...welding the ears back on....i have one exactly like it....mine broke off...was wondering if welding it back was an option..

I would like to know how yu came out on ...welding the ears back on....i have one exactly like it....mine broke off...was wondering if welding it back was an option..

I've been just as hard on the tractor ever since and use it all the time... Still holding together perfectly. I tear up other things on the tractor but this repair has held up. lol I think the key to it holding together is the additional aluminum plate that really beefed it up. Considering the pain and extreme expense to replace the whole rear housing it's a no brainer to have this thing welded. Find someone that specializes in welding aluminum. It can be done!

/ Welding rear end of jd 4300 #35  
Still holding together perfectly. I tear up other things on the tractor but this repair has
held up.

Glad it is still holding up, now that it's been a year. The one I did (post# 14) is still fine, but the owner does not
use the 3-pt much, and when he does, it is only with a 60" RC mower.

If you are using a box blade, and with gusto, your experience is a better indicator that welding will work.

I wonder how long JD will offer the 4x10 axle housings anyway....

/ Welding rear end of jd 4300 #36  
My neighbor had the same failure. Guess it's pretty common. He was attaching an implement and simply kicked the end of the lower arm to get it on the pin - - oops!

In any case, he noticed that the outer axle gear case housings are the same left to right, with the forward hole unused. So he simply swapped the covers side to side and "fixed" it that way.

JD smooched the pooch on this one, really poor design.

bumper

/ Welding rear end of jd 4300 #37  
So what youare saying...is the front of each housing is built exactly like the back with ears for 3pt and each side is exactly the same..... and i can take the housing and axle assembly from one side and stick it in the other,,, thus turning the housing around and it will fit and give me new ears on each side.......do i have to disassemble the axels from the housings?

If you are using a box blade, and with gusto, your experience is a better indicator that welding will work.
I originally broke the ear by dragging the box blade in B range (HST) and hanging it on a pine tree root that was very shallow in the road. It was my fault but I was still disappointed in the weak design. Honestly these tractors aren't all that heavy and you shouldn't be able to bust one like that. Since that time I haven't had any whiplash box blade hangs but I've used the blade with forks digging deep on many occasions. I've also used a 2 bottom breaking plow a lot... It's been long enough that I've forgot about the break and am no longer concerned about it breaking again. It's the other one that concerns me:)

So what youare saying...is the front of each housing is built exactly like the back with ears for 3pt and each side is exactly the same..... and i can take the housing and axle assembly from one side and stick it in the other,,, thus turning the housing around and it will fit and give me new ears on each side.......do i have to disassemble the axels from the housings?

Did you get your username after reading post #36? lol I must look at this when I get home. Not that I need to do it now but wow, what a light bulb moment that must have been.

I love my tractor but yeah for something that is capable of doing some much hard work they sure built in a lot of weak links.