welding table slots

/ welding table slots #1  

swick1

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 1026R
I'm working on my welding table (4' by 6' by 1/2" thick). It is currently sitting on two 50 gal drums. I will add some legs soon and I was wondering if there are some standard slot sizes for these like how milling machine t-slot tables are built? I had thought about leaving half of it solid and putting 8 slots in the other half like wheel spokes for clamping. I have a stick welder so the leads are always hot. Any ideas for electrode wand holders? I was thinking some kind of wooden box or something on each side of the table. Don't want to flash myself!

/ welding table slots
Thanks for the suggestion, but I was hoping for something a little faster than machining clamps. Are there any welding specific clamp systems out there? I may just make bigger slots and put my c-clamps through them.

/ welding table slots #4  
Cant really help with the slot suggestion, but I can make a few other...

First, if you do slot it as I am imagining, be carefull not to go overboard and weaken the table.

Another suggestion is to maybe incorporate an area for cutting. The neatest one I see, and was simple, was just a hole in the table maybe 2' x 2' and it just had bar-grate in there. That way, you could lay the peice flat and cut and not have to worry about burning through the table. And it gave all the slag a place to fall away. If I ever make another welding table, I think the WHOLE top will be heavy bar grate. and the openings in bar grate are usually large enough to drop a c-clamp in:thumbsup:

Another suggestion (an we have this in our shop at work) and it may be a lot more work than you want, but we have a metal post mounted on the wall for hooking the ground clamps to. And then a heavy guage cable laid in a trench in the concrete and attached to the leg of the table. One less cord to worry about running over and getting tangled.:thumbsup:

And I cant really help much with the electrode holder:confused: But I wouldnt want to use wood on a welding bench. They might not last very long:laughing:

/ welding table slots #5  
Thanks for the suggestion, but I was hoping for something a little faster than machining clamps. Are there any welding specific clamp systems out there? I may just make bigger slots and put my c-clamps through them.

THere are several welding quick clamps available at different price points and mounting style. These are but a few examples.

1800.jpg

1800.jpg

0808725-11.jpg

0699842-11.jpg

8383595-11.jpg

/ welding table slots #7  
Just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt. Your table is about the right size except for one thing 1/2in. thick is way to thin in my opinion. The one I had at my old place was 3in. thick. Now that might be overkill but you didnt just pick it up to move it.........LOL. With it being only 1/2 in. I believe you will get a lot of spring action in the top when you cut your slots for clamping things to the table. Now as far as a cutting table I would make one seperate from the welding table. A really nice design is make one out of angle iron for the edge and then put in some flat iron inbetween vertical. Like I said take it with a grain of salt but that is what I would do..,...KJD

/ welding table slots
I like the idea of a fab table and a cutting table made out of grate material. I am going to brace my slotted table with c or angle extrusions. It shouldn't warp too much. I like those clamps. I'll have to get some when I get some spare cash. I keep spending it on welding projects and I just weld everything on top of 6x6 blocks and shims :)

/ welding table slots #9  
Check out Strong Hand (?Stronghand) clamps which are specifically designed for welding. Very nice.

/ welding table slots #10  
Check out Strong Hand (?Stronghand) clamps which are specifically designed for welding. Very nice.

yeah that whole stronghand table and clamps system is way cool, but too much $ for me. Now if I was trying to make a living welding.. maybe a different story.

James K0UA