Welding with Cutting Torch?

/ Welding with Cutting Torch?
Thanks for all the great information!

/ Welding with Cutting Torch? #14  
The 4 is good for heating but I recently picked up a small rosebud heating tip for $20 at a going out of business sale. I haven't had a need for it yet to see how well it works, but I'll bet is really sucks the O2 and acetylene from the tanks.
Maybe you know this, but I discovered you need a certain size acetylene bottle to meet the demand of a rosebud tip. I went to the LWS to buy a rosebud, he asked me what size bottle I had, and he said I was way into the danger zone trying to use a rosebud with my tank. I didn't need it bad enough to buy a bigger bottle, so I just use a large torch tip for heating.

/ Welding with Cutting Torch? #15  
Technically, I presume you won't be "welding", but instead you'll be "brazing". There is a critical difference.
You can weld or braze with gas, just like you can weld or braze with tig.

/ Welding with Cutting Torch? #16  
The welding tip replaces the cutting head and concentrates the torch heat into one single orifice. I have welded a few things using the cutting torch head but it is a bit difficult to control the heat on small objects. Welding tips come in common sizes ranging from 00,0, 1,2,3 and 4. I have a 1 and a 4 and don't find I need anything in between.

The 4 is good for heating but I recently picked up a small rosebud heating tip for $20 at a going out of business sale. I haven't had a need for it yet to see how well it works, but I'll bet is really sucks the O2 and acetylene from the tanks.

Gary,

I find a 00 tip is handy to have for light jobs. Rosebud and cutting: I have gone to Propane due to cost. Different cutting tips but no change to heating, brazing, except it is not as hot. With the advent of alternate cutting methods and MIG/TIG acetylene use has plummeted hence the price. Acet is expensive to make and dangerous due to its instability also.

Ron