Well Depth?

/ Well Depth? #41  
MarkV: It's fairly common in my area to have hot water wells due to the geothermal nature of the area. We have many geothermal power plants on Cobb Mountain and there are hot soda baths in Clearlake which is the lake I live near. The entire area is volcanic (Mt. Konocti) and there is hot water everywhere. Not only hot water but all the attendant minerals, hydrogen sulfide, sulfuric acid, boron, carbonation, and just about anything else that may or may not be water soluble. Fortunately I was able to filter the water to make it potable and it doesn't stain the fixtures to bad. Just depends where you dig. I can't really complain though because I know of people that have drilled seven and eight dry holes on their property and still don't have any water. Take what you can get and make the best of it. P.K. Burke

/ Well Depth?
Re: Iron In Well Water

Wen,

You said: "Using a water softner without a cartridge filter before it is just like driving your tractor without a ROPS."

I hope you're kidding, otherwise: ARE YOU SERIOUS...WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN SMOKING/DRINKING DOWN THERE IN TEXAS? /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif
Can a grain of salt KILL you like rolling your tractor with no ROPs on it? /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif Silly Rabbit!

JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!

/ Well Depth? #43  
Jim,

I'm in northern Indiana and my well is 75 feet deep with an 80 foot head. It flows between 5 to 10 GPM without a pump. This well was drilled in the height of the drought. My stream , at the same period in time, flows about a 1000 GPM. A shortage of water is not a problem here.

Joe

/ Well Depth? #44  
Jim,
My well is 135' deep and has 50gpm. We have no filters at all and only a small amount of iron in it. I have a 1" lawn hydrant on the top of the well to flood my ice rink and have never had a problem with running out of water (well pump only puts out 10gpm). And I have let the water run for 8 days non-stop. I have talked to many different water treatment experts on removing iron and all say that a softner won't do it. They do make filters that are specific for iron, but I found the cost to not be worth it.

Von

/ Well Depth? #45  

Just like all my teachers. Just read the first line and missed the point. Grade B--

"It will only matter when you need it! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif "

/ Well Depth? #46  

Speaking of water softeners. I read somewhere that the salt will play heck with your septic leach field for whatever reason. That septic website I was on said not to use a softener as it would ruin the leach field.

/ Well Depth? #47  

Also NOT correct. There are many reports (one published by the San Diego Agricultural Extension Office) stating that results of testing water softners with septic systems that the level of salt does not cause problems.

Water Softners DO remove clear water iron (the most common kind) contrary to what someone posted here earlier.

Wonder where all of this mis-information comes from?

/ Well Depth?

Wen,

Actually I read the whole thing...especially the last line which I have not had a problem with in twelve years! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I won't assign a grade to you, public embarassment is not my specialty!

JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!

/ Well Depth? #49  
Hello Jim
We have 2 wells. aprox. 5 1/2 miles between the two. (1) 580 feet deep, 14 gpm. must be R/O'd to be potable ( 2200 ppm salt. suggest a poorly cased gas well in the area) #(2) well. 371 feet deep, 35 gpm. Ice Cold! Potable...good stuff.

Cowboy

/ Well Depth? #50  
Wingnut,I don't know about bactieria it does make sense though,but here in Bama my grandpapy had a well that was iron water and let me tell yaa it was like drinking from a rusty pipe.../w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif.(Just Guessing what I rusty pipe taste like/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif)Here in Bama it is not uncommon to go through iron ore...or have it dusted through the ground..In that case I would think JimM's descrition is sound.....Still as other Im no expert either.

Lil' Paul