Mowing Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later..... and today it was my time

/ Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later..... and today it was my time #11  
Yellow Jackets are very aggressive. I seem to need to relearn that every 5 years or so. Last encounter was 2 years ago clearing trees around driveway, only 50 foot from back door. Cutting a 4 inch tree with my fairly new Still chainsaw. I saw yellow jackets pouring out of the ground 4 inches from tree I was cutting. I knew what was coming. Started running for house with saw, thats when the first 2 got me. Dropped saw ( still running ) got inside without additional damage. 4 Of them got inside 3 more stings before I swatted them. Still chainsaw idling beside driveway. Waited 20 minutes snuck out and turned off saw. Got some stuff to mix with water in 5 gallon bucket and hit them just after dark that night.
Scott

/ Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later..... and today it was my time #12  
A couple of days ago I used the tractor to pull a small stump for a neighbor. Because of a fence, I had to hook two chains together and slide them under the fence. So the tractor and I were about 30' from the stump. As the stump pulled out, a long root started ripping out of the ground.
I kept going, waiting for the root to break or pull out. There was a nest of yellow jackets that the root passed thru or by, and out they came. Unfortunately my friend, who was standing to that side, got several stings. They never came after me, they only chased and stung my friend.

/ Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later..... and today it was my time #13  
I found two this year so far. PITA, only one sting, and a can of spray to get rid of them.

/ Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later..... and today it was my time #14  
About all you can do is run like you did. I try to run through some high brush like small fir trees or saplings if there is no better cover.

I have learned to carry a can of hornet & wasp spray in my tool box all the time. I can't count the number of ground nests I have stirred up. Yellow jackets are just mean little devils and to many stings at once can be dangerous.

Turn_10.JPG

/ Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later..... and today it was my time #15  
Thanks for posting this, have you thought to echo on the Safety Forum?

/ Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later..... and today it was my time #16  
Thanks for posting this, have you thought to echo on the Safety Forum?
o t
good point sometimes, it's all about gettin' outa dodge fast as you can. got a turbo? happens to the best of us, part of the adventure. well....guess you can have a cab for the insular of mind....... not me, luck of the draw. but i know it hurts, & can be serious for some good luck, just part of the turf (imho forget the spray)

/ Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later..... and today it was my time #17  
Sounds like it's time to upgrade to a cab tractor! :D

/ Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later..... and today it was my time #18  
When I get stung, it's one time that my "nasty" habit of chewing tobacco comes in handy. Just take some of the moist tobacco and put it on the sting. It will quit hurting in a few minutes.

Some of the "old timers' " remedies still work. :D

/ Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later..... and today it was my time #19  
When I find a ground nest of hornets or bumblebees in an inconvenient location, I usually drop a couple of moth balls into the hole (after dark!) and cover it with a flat rock or something so they get gassed really well.

/ Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later..... and today it was my time #20  
Anytime I have to get something from a pile of lumber or even fence posts in late summer, I like to thump and rattle the pile a bit with the bale forks or bucket first. If nothing swarms out, then I feel safer going in. Wasps were one of the reasons I got a cab...