well pump question..

/ well pump question.. #1  

bdw593

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 6025
Question?...
I have an existing well on my property where there used to b a house trailer. I just built a house about 800 foot from the existing well. I want to extend the well line to the new house. No experience with this and thought the experience on tbn would know the answer. The question(s) are:
Will the existing well work?
There is a steep hill that the pump will have to pump up to get to the new house.
Will I have to put a second pump in the line to pump up the hill?
Really don't want to drill a new well when there is one already on the property.
Thanks in advance for your responses..

/ well pump question.. #2  
Well,,,well,,:laughing: it pumps the water from straight up,so unless you live way up higher than the well it will probably work,,just need to get the line to your house as apossed to other house,,,you need to get in touch with an honest well pump person,[thats hard to do],but should just be a matter of putting proper pump in well,and putting the line from well to your house,[gotta put in proper pressure tank and etc,,at your house],,, Not a problem,,but make sure that well will supply your house with enough water,or all that money and effort will be wasted,,,house takes maybe 150-250 gal a day,wells flow at different rates[1 gallon a min,,to many gal a min],,so you gotta know what that well is,,before you spend a bunch of money hooking it up,,might be cheaper in the long run,putting a new well in?? Several questions you gotta get answered before you do anything..

/ well pump question..
I have county water at my new house so it would b more for auxillery purpouses. The guy I bought the property from advised that it was a good producing well. And had real good quality water. I hate to not use it or have it handy. I got alot of waterlive left over so no out of pocket expense there.

/ well pump question.. #4  
Question?...
I have an existing well on my property where there used to b a house trailer. I just built a house about 800 foot from the existing well. I want to extend the well line to the new house. No experience with this and thought the experience on tbn would know the answer. The question(s) are:
Will the existing well work?
There is a steep hill that the pump will have to pump up to get to the new house.
Will I have to put a second pump in the line to pump up the hill?
Really don't want to drill a new well when there is one already on the property.
Thanks in advance for your responses..

I can't answer your questions directly, but I may be able to provide you some info that will be useful.

There's a long story behind why I did this, but I just connected to an existing well that was 200 feet deep and 600 feet from my farm house. It cost me $4,777 for the following (installed):

1. 220 volt submersible pump extended 150 feet in the well,
2. storage tank and fiberglass cover
3. wiring (150 feet in the well, 500 feet to a subpanel)
4. pipe (150 feet in the well, 600 feet to the house)
5. one exterior hydrant
6. filter

The pump was set at 60 psi (off) and I have good pressure at the house according to my plumber -- I'll verify this when I get back to the farm next week. The plumber indicated that I would lose about 10 psi over the 600 ft. run.

I could probably had a new well put in closer to the house for less, but the well I tapped into yielded 60 gpm. My chances of getting that much water at 200 feet with a new well were pretty slim.

It would be my guess (and it's just a guess) that it may be less costly to have a new well installed.

I hope that others more knowledgeable will reply.

Steve

Last edited:
   / well pump question.. #5  
More info would be needed.
Debth of well plus raise above ground as well as total distance.
In some cases friction also needs to be calculated.
Pipe size is also a factor.
Pump mfgs have charts that will spec your needs, do a google search; try RedJacket and Jacuzzi.
Deffinately feasable project, mainly a question of proper pump rating for the job.(and much cheaper than a new well)

/ well pump question..
I really don't know the depth of the existing pump... Anyway to figure this out?
This is the first time u have ever delt with a well. The rise is about 12-15 foot higher than the existing placment of the well running uphill about 25-30 yards. After that it is a level shot the remaining distance to the house.

/ well pump question.. #7  
Just a couple of side notes,,60 cut off ain't out of ordinary,,most propabaly ordinary,, on 30 off 50,, I think going rate is something like 11 a ft 14 a ft casing,casing does down maybe 30 -40 ft,,than I'm sure they charge a getting there fee,soso,,might cost you 3 grand for a hundred ft well??,,most are fair,,so won't be much need to haggle5-6 grand for a 300 ft well? Than you got 1 to 2thousand more to make it work,,so 6-7 thousand minimum..

/ well pump question.. #8  
Agree with Piloon, it amounts to pump head. (pressure)
For each 2.31 feet = 1 psi, or .433 psi per foot.
When a well pump reaches the top of its head, no more water will pump.

/ well pump question.. #9  
Before I put a lot of money into it, I'd find the wires leading to it and the discharge line. Then I'd hook it up a generator to find out if it works and if so, how much water it pumps.

The motor on the pump could be seized from sitting or the well itself may have problems like a failed screen. You may be able to find something out about this well from a local well driller if you can find out who put it in.

If it checks out, it would be worth hooking up, especially if you did the work yourself.

/ well pump question.. #10  
Had roughly the same issue years ago.

installed holding tank at well head, then jet pump to house.