well pump

/ well pump #1  

roxynoodle

Platinum Member
Tractor
Yanmar 1510d, 1950 Farmall H
I have a shallow well pump (jet type) with a pressure tank on top. The last few days it has only been pumping a little bit of water (5-15 gal) and then the water stops. I have never had this happen before. I have had pumps quit from corrosion due to the hard water, pressure switches go bad and once the pressure tank went too. I am at a loss trying to figure out what is wrong here. Anyone out there have an idea or had this happen? It is getting hard to shower and I don't want to get stinky here trying to figure this out /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ well pump
I have a shallow well pump (jet type) with a pressure tank on top. The last few days it has only been pumping a little bit of water (5-15 gal) and then the water stops. I have never had this happen before. I have had pumps quit from corrosion due to the hard water, pressure switches go bad and once the pressure tank went too. I am at a loss trying to figure out what is wrong here. Anyone out there have an idea or had this happen? It is getting hard to shower and I don't want to get stinky here trying to figure this out /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ well pump #3  
There is an old song that has a line that says,
" what you gona do when the well runs dry?' /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Have you check the water level in the well?

/ well pump #4  
There is an old song that has a line that says,
" what you gona do when the well runs dry?' /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Have you check the water level in the well?

/ well pump #5  
How is the water level in the well?

Are there any leaks in the piping?

Could the pump be wore out?

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ well pump #6  
How is the water level in the well?

Are there any leaks in the piping?

Could the pump be wore out?

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ well pump #7  
Have you confirmed that the pump is still running when you stop getting water? Like others have said, make sure you're not drawing the well down.

If it's the pump motor that's cutting out, you might want to check to see that you're not tripping a thermal overload on the motor (if equipped). I suspect that this might be what is actually happening, as some types of thermal overloads reset when the motor cools. If you're tripping a thermal overload, then I suspect you're pump may be worn, causing higher amperage draw. You can verify it by measuring it with an amp meter and comparing it to the motor nameplate data.

/ well pump #8  
Have you confirmed that the pump is still running when you stop getting water? Like others have said, make sure you're not drawing the well down.

If it's the pump motor that's cutting out, you might want to check to see that you're not tripping a thermal overload on the motor (if equipped). I suspect that this might be what is actually happening, as some types of thermal overloads reset when the motor cools. If you're tripping a thermal overload, then I suspect you're pump may be worn, causing higher amperage draw. You can verify it by measuring it with an amp meter and comparing it to the motor nameplate data.

/ well pump
The well isn't dry. We've actually had amazing amounts of rain this past month. The pump is stopping when the water stops. No leaks. It could be overheating. I've never had one do this before though, they usually just die.

/ well pump
The well isn't dry. We've actually had amazing amounts of rain this past month. The pump is stopping when the water stops. No leaks. It could be overheating. I've never had one do this before though, they usually just die.