Well the pole barn is layed out ... set poles tomorrow

/ Well the pole barn is layed out ... set poles tomorrow #1  

blueriver

Tractor
JD 5520 Montana 4340 Farmall Super A Montana 5720C
After a delay ... we managed late this afternoon to get the batter bds and lines up. First thing a.m. after chores we will dig the holes and set the poles.

Will try to get pictures up tomorrow evening ... it will be 40' by 72' by 12'

/ Well the pole barn is layed out ... set poles tomorrow #2  
Looking forward to following this thred. Please post pics.
Army Grunt

/ Well the pole barn is layed out ... set poles tomorrow #3  
Looking forward to it! I'm sure you'll have some real fun fighting this wind we're having today. Looks like you're putting up a good sized one.:thumbsup:

/ Well the pole barn is layed out ... set poles tomorrow
Looking forward to it! I'm sure you'll have some real fun fighting this wind we're having today. Looks like you're putting up a good sized one.:thumbsup:

Yes the wind is going to be a factor ... get this way I'll put some tools in your hand!!

/ Well the pole barn is layed out ... set poles tomorrow #5  
Yes the wind is going to be a factor ... get this way I'll put some tools in your hand!!

I'll keep that in mind!:D.....uh, you did mean the kind of tool that has a steering wheel, engine, 3ph and a PHD auger on the rear didn't you?:D You better get with it, you're burning daylight!:D:thumbsup:

I'll keep that in mind!:D.....uh, you did mean the kind of tool that has a steering wheel, engine, 3ph and a PHD auger on the rear didn't you?:D You better get with it, you're burning daylight!:D:thumbsup:

Thats right!! How this for burning daylight? My Grandson and I drilled the holes, put the poles in the hole and the wife ran the tape measure.

Attachments

• 101_6613.JPG
    101_6613.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 585
  • 101_6614.JPG
    101_6614.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 586
  • 101_6615.JPG
    101_6615.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 714
  • 101_6616.JPG
    101_6616.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 642
  • 101_6617.JPG
    101_6617.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 664
  • 101_6618.JPG
    101_6618.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 728
  • 101_6619.JPG
    101_6619.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 773
   / Well the pole barn is layed out ... set poles tomorrow #7  
Just my 2 cents and its hindsite now for you, anyway I know their is more than one way to skin a cat!

I have built a couple pole barns and we have always put what we call cement cookies under each post and that all sat ontop of an 80lb bag of quickcrete.

What type of poles are you using? are they treated, do they need to be? You are from a differant part of the country so I am not sure about your area

I can tell you haveing a helper is worth their weight in gold! when building a pole barn. Good luck and have fun at it, it looks like you :thumbsup:have a good start.

Just my 2 cents and its hindsite now for you, anyway I know their is more than one way to skin a cat!

I have built a couple pole barns and we have always put what we call cement cookies under each post and that all sat ontop of an 80lb bag of quickcrete.

What type of poles are you using? are they treated, do they need to be? You are from a differant part of the country so I am not sure about your area

I can tell you haveing a helper is worth their weight in gold! when building a pole barn. Good luck and have fun at it, it looks like you :thumbsup:have a good start.

Thanks for the imput ... the solid clay ground serves almost like a rock base. If you need to chip alittle away from the hole its almost like cutting rock. Thats a good base.

The poles are used electric poles, cut in half and then split in half length ways at the saw mill.

Yes that Grandson is a true helper!!

/ Well the pole barn is layed out ... set poles tomorrow #9  
Looks like a good project, a great learning experience for your grandson. I have built quite a few barns with my grandpa, I learned quite a bit in those few summers. I remember when we built an arena that was 140' x 80' with a 25' lean too off one side for stalls. we had to nail 3 trusses together to get good strength for the roof and rented 2 scissor lifts to get everything together. The trusses were so big and heavy we had to hire a crane to come out and put them up. That was one big barn. We have also done smaller barns, even wood sheds, and have done some house additions as well. This year my grandpa is retiring to work on his horse stables, it is pretty much a full time job, i am in charge right now for the next week since my grandparents are in Hawaii. All i can say about it is it is a lot of work taking care of a horse barn with 78 horses in over an acre of barns on a 4 acre piece of property.

/ Well the pole barn is layed out ... set poles tomorrow #10  
I just built a nice new shiny Pole barn last Fall. It was fun watching that new barn shed it's load of roof snow time and time over the Winter. That smooth and slick roof is pretty good at doing that at least for a couple of years when the paint gets scratchy.

I wish my driveway did that. I ended up digging all my posts with my CK20 and backhoe. Could not drill in that course gravel. I just plumbed down from the batte line and dropped a cookie down the hole and then set the 6 X 6 post off othe same string 1 1/2" off the string. Turned out real nice.

rim