Well Water Filter

/ Well Water Filter #11  
I've been on a spring for the 38+ years here. It was originally found and used by the homesteader in 1892. In 1982 we moved onto the homestead. I had the spring upgraded. It's now 26 feet deep and lined with 4' concrete rings to the bottom. We surged/purged initially to remove sand & silt.

I've never had any type of filter on this system. It does pump tiny, unnoticeable, traces of silt. You can see the silt in the toilet tank.

Otherwise, it's the finest water east of the Cascades.

/ Well Water Filter
Scrambler82, 750' deep well. That's deep. :) The big blue I have is a 4.5 x 20". I don't know if they make them any large than that.

/ Well Water Filter #13  
I was guessing, didn't measure, if I find otherwise I will post something.
It is a Big Blue so 4.5 x 20" it is.

All I know is... for me, the one filter works.
I was lucky in one way, first I get clean water, knock-on-wood, second the company that a talked to said to use two filters of different filter size, and then they added to start with one. I like that omcany only because they didn't push the extra filter down my throat and the one is working now.

How about a picture of your system, always good to see what people are doing ?

Added: I also added an Electronic Decalcification System, no matter what it is called it has reduced my Calcium buildup on my facets, biggy for me !

Forgot to answer the original question, "I use a Spun Filter with good success" !

/ Well Water Filter
Here is a picture prior to installing the spin down. Looking at the picture, the incoming water comes up from the tank then goes left into the first big blue which is 5 micron, then the second BB which is a 1 micron. Then from there it goes to the water softener then out to the fixtures. The spin down was installed right before the first BB filter. The little white filters at the top left are for my RO system.

Water.JPG

/ Well Water Filter #15  
I used to use the pleated filters, but read one of the filter manufacturer sites which said string spun should be used for well systems. Not sure why they say that, but I switched to string wound and they seem to last a little longer. I use the 5 micron.

/ Well Water Filter #16  
Here is a picture prior to installing the spin down. Looking at the picture, the incoming water comes up from the tank then goes left into the first big blue which is 5 micron, then the second BB which is a 1 micron. Then from there it goes to the water softener then out to the fixtures. The spin down was installed right before the first BB filter. The little white filters at the top left are for my RO system.

View attachment 622567

Nice looking install... what about a corse filter at the Water Tank or Pump ?

Excessive Particulates, is a State health Problem... AND should be addressed at state levels.
I would make sure to contact them just in case there is a program in place.

/ Well Water Filter #17  
Maybe they pump is too close to the bottom of the well and is sucking too much fines from the bottom of well.

/ Well Water Filter #18  
I do not and never have liked non transparent filter bowls. I want to see what the media looks like at all times.

/ Well Water Filter #19  
Before I put the spin down filter on and only had the 2 pleated filters, when I would first change the 5 micron, water pressure was great. After a few days, the water pressure would drop some. Not enough to warrant a change, but noticeable. If I could somehow remove the larger stuff, my 5 micron would last longer and be more consistent. If I am plugging a 50 micron spin down that fast, I must have some large sediment making it through.

......or the 50 micron spin down is junk.

No doubt you need a solution. My concern is you have fixated on specs and are convinced that those specs should fix the issue. My contention is the brand and or style of filter isn’t working for your needs.

/ Well Water Filter #20  
I would be happy with 2 months per filter change. I usually get on month between changes sometimes less sometimes more. I go from a spindown 50 to a 20 to a 5. I have had it tested and iron bacteria from iron, some sand and sediment. Perfectly safe to drink. I change and clean the spin down every week. I have several spares so it takes a minute. I changed my outside spigots to not run through the filters and it helps prolong the change in the summer. The filters stop most everything as when I only had the 20 washer would clog, a single 5 was at most two weeks , so I just deal the cost. The spin down extended the filter change during ''bad times'' by a bit as there are times (no rhyme or rhythm) when it is worse.