Wells 8-M-40 Bandsaw retro fit motor

/ Wells 8-M-40 Bandsaw retro fit motor #1  

SLOWMANDOWN

Hi,I just pick up a old Wells band saw that my work was replacing. The saw has a 3ph 1/2 hp 1720 motor which I need to
retro fit a 110v motor to. I had in mind a 3/4 or 1 hp motor. My question is
if anyone has retro fit a 110v motor to this type of saw? and how involved is it to do? If anyone has done so could they post me pictures? Thanx

/ Wells 8-M-40 Bandsaw retro fit motor #2  
If the motor is okay you might consider adding a Variable Frequency Drive which will double as a voltage and phase converter and let you vary speed too.

/ Wells 8-M-40 Bandsaw retro fit motor #3  
Check the motor tag for the frame type. I believe that many frame styles are available in both single and 3 phase. If you can match the frame the swap should be a breeze as the frame standardizes the mounting dimensions, shaft size to name a few.

/ Wells 8-M-40 Bandsaw retro fit motor
Checked the motor plate no frame spec on it as the mounting is casted to the motor face plate_ cinches to a 1 3/8" pin attached to the frame of the saw. The mount can rotate to tighten the drive belt. Tried at the Well's site to see if they had a mount ready made for retro fitting a modern motor. (no such luck) thinking I will get the motor based on RPM and shaft specs and some split shaft collars, weld them to a base plate, mount the motor and adjust, then tighten the collars to the pin. Might just work. Really was hoping that someone had already done a similar installation.

/ Wells 8-M-40 Bandsaw retro fit motor #6  
A variable frequency drive would convert your 120 VAC 1 ph to 3 phase.

If your motor is 230 volt 3 phase thenuUse this one: FM50-101-C

About $120.

It is rated 1 hp which makes it more robust. You will need to configured for your motor's nameplate amps for the overload setting to be correct.

You might need a friend who is an industrial electrician to help you with the wiring connections. Once you understand it, it is simple.

JRP

/ Wells 8-M-40 Bandsaw retro fit motor
The motor is 550v 3 phase so VFD I believe wouldn't work. I got a 1 HP 110/220v 1750 RPM motor with a 5/8 inch shaft and 56c mount. This way it can run on household wiring and becomes more resalable in the future. Unfortunately I broke the original sheave removing it and need to replace it with a new one ( + cash expense ). Need a new bushing for 5/8 inch as old one is 3/4 inch ordered the sheave and bushing nearly $30.00 CDN. The mount will be simply 2 split collars welded to a 1/4 inch plate which will cinch on to the original 1 3/8 inch motor mount pin, and the motor bolted to the plate.