Went from a Category 1 to Category 2 tractor. Now attachments won't fit

/ Went from a Category 1 to Category 2 tractor. Now attachments won't fit #1  

Francis_Mulligan

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 2860E, Ford 9N
I purchased a new Massey Ferguson 4710 tractor for my other property. I kept my Massey Ferguson 2680M to use at the property I live on. The issue I am having is the lower link arms will not close in enough on the 4710 to hook up any of the attachments I have. The picture shows a flail mower that I've given up attaching to the 4710 (I also realise it is too small). The stabilizer bars on the 4710 barely have any play to them, whereas the different style stabilizer bars on the the 2860M have scads of play.

I can change the pins on the attachments from cat 1 to cat 2 (the 2860M balls can accept either size), so that is not an issue. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20240405_115043.jpg
    20240405_115043.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 195
   / Went from a Category 1 to Category 2 tractor. Now attachments won't fit #2  
Have you extended the adjustment arms all the way out? If so, buy some longer arms...

/ Went from a Category 1 to Category 2 tractor. Now attachments won't fit #3  
   / Went from a Category 1 to Category 2 tractor. Now attachments won't fit #4  
I think Tractor Supply carriers the bushings.

/ Went from a Category 1 to Category 2 tractor. Now attachments won't fit #5  
I purchased a new Massey Ferguson 4710 tractor for my other property. I kept my Massey Ferguson 2680M to use at the property I live on. The issue I am having is the lower link arms will not close in enough on the 4710 to hook up any of the attachments I have. The picture shows a flail mower that I've given up attaching to the 4710 (I also realise it is too small). The stabilizer bars on the 4710 barely have any play to them, whereas the different style stabilizer bars on the the 2860M have scads of play.

I can change the pins on the attachments from cat 1 to cat 2 (the 2860M balls can accept either size), so that is not an issue. Any help would be appreciated.
Looking at the picture, I can't tell, but it looks like threaded rod sticking out of the rear of the stabilizer, but no threads sticking out on the tractor end. The only ones I'm familiar with would have equal amount of thread sticking out on both ends of the stabilizer. Maybe these are different than what I'm used to.

/ Went from a Category 1 to Category 2 tractor. Now attachments won't fit #7  
You can buy extended hitch pins, Cat 1 or Cat 2 at TSC as well as online.

Never had that issue myself but on my Kubota M9's the stabilizer (lower links) are punched with holes and retaining pins and have a super wide range of adjustment. I don't care for the threaded lower links at all actually.

/ Went from a Category 1 to Category 2 tractor. Now attachments won't fit #9  
Looking at the picture, I can't tell, but it looks like threaded rod sticking out of the rear of the stabilizer, but no threads sticking out on the tractor end. The only ones I'm familiar with would have equal amount of thread sticking out on both ends of the stabilizer. Maybe these are different than what I'm used to.
I think you spotted it. It is not the pins or bushings. The threaded sway bars are only extended at one end. Extend the other threaded end to an equal distance & it should fit.

/ Went from a Category 1 to Category 2 tractor. Now attachments won't fit
Thank you for the replies. Getting frustrated here as I seem to fix tools about as much time as using them!

Yes, not a bushings/pin issue. I can/have changed my implement's pins to cat 2. It's an issue with the minimum distance between the lower control arms (32" minimum). I'll have to see if TSC has pins that are long enough. A rake I want to use only goes to about 30 1/2".

I was also thinking about changing out the stabilizer bars to the pin type.