Went to first ranch auction - surprised

/ Went to first ranch auction - surprised #11  
It took me a while to figure out why guns were going so high in one of my first auctions attended. In some cases more than new. Then it dawned on me...no way for the government to track it to you

/ Went to first ranch auction - surprised #12  
I stopped going to auctions when all I saw was well used items going for brand new prices. I was also at an auction where the auctioneer had members of his company bidding stuff up, he then got irritated with me because I quit bidding on a lot of stuff when it exceeded what I was willing to pay.
I got ticked off when I saw the auctioneers employees bidding and brought it up to the auctioneer. His response was they had a number of absentee bids with a limit. His employees were acting as agents for the absentee bidders. Still didn't sit well with me. I took the time to sit through the auction for something but they didn't have to.

/ Went to first ranch auction - surprised #13  
It took me a while to figure out why guns were going so high in one of my first auctions attended. In some cases more than new. Then it dawned on me...no way for the government to track it to you
Not in NY. Here the guns go through a FFL and you have to pass a background check to take them home.

Aaron Z

/ Went to first ranch auction - surprised #14  
I went to an auction , and saw some bidding done by employees , I yelled out and called the auctioneer on it . he came up with a bunch of excuses . Prices got better after that

/ Went to first ranch auction - surprised #15  
How do find the auctions? I looked up farm auctions a few weeks ago and the only thing I saw where auction houses.

/ Went to first ranch auction - surprised #16  
I am guilty of going to auctions for over 40 years. Used to be able to leave your purchases in a pile and they would be there when you got ready to go. Trust no body now- take your purchase to the truck or it will disappear. Have called the sheriff on a confused person who took my property. In Ohio auctioneer takes your name for guns. The law never sees this. Quite a loophole if you ask me.

/ Went to first ranch auction - surprised #17  
Not in NY. Here the guns go through a FFL and you have to pass a background check to take them home.

I'm pretty sure that's federal law.

I have a niece who married a potato farmer. Went to visit one time, and was there when the hired man got back from the auction. He'd been sent to bid on some irrigation pipe. He bought it all - at brand new price.

/ Went to first ranch auction - surprised #18  
Auctioneers hench men all have their own E-bay sites, or ongoing garage sales. Hard to outbid someone who is on payroll and buying.

/ Went to first ranch auction - surprised #19  
You know you are paying retail when the auctioneer says your saving the sales tax!

/ Went to first ranch auction - surprised #20  
I go to auctions to visit with friends and make new ones. If I see a good deal and I need it I'll buy it. Most of the time you can do better in Kijiji if you want to buy something.

The best part of Kijiji is that you don't waste a whole day standing around bs'ing. To many times I've been outbid by someone paying a lot more than market value at an auction. I figure my time at an auction is worth something and I need to pay for at least part of my time there with something that's a good deal otherwise I'm further ahead money wise by buying what I need somewhere else.