West Virginia bringing prisoner work gangs back to work on the roads.

/ West Virginia bringing prisoner work gangs back to work on the roads. #11  
SnowRidge said:
Yeah, it is real bad, especially on the county roads. I have yet to see a county crew out cleaning up in my area. I do see state crews from time to time on the state highways, but they get more traffic and can get real bad between the infrequent clean ups.

The Interstates aren't too bad, though.

:) I agree, county roads can be terrible depending on where you are. Ive never seen anyone cleaning up county roads either...exc me. I keep my own frontage clean and cut and dont depend on the county. They did mow (or rather scalp) the road side a couple times this summer though. When I trim I also pick up trash which is often and results in a full 5 gal bucket + every time. Im SO out of step but thats OK. Id just rather not have some one elses trash in my hay fields..... :)

/ West Virginia bringing prisoner work gangs back to work on the roads. #12  
We share our road with 5 other families. I'm completely amazed at how much trash there is on the side of our road. Guess who picks that trash up? I'll give you a hint, it's the same guy that organized the repair of the road this past spring when it was completely impassable to all but 4x4 trucks. Also the same guy that paid $2300 to fix the road, vs. $100 for 4 of the other 5 (the 5th paid $0).

I try not to be bitter, but it's AWFULLY hard to remain neighborly sometimes.

/ West Virginia bringing prisoner work gangs back to work on the roads.
Bird said:
One of the Dallas County Commissioners asked this past week to be allowed to start using trustees from the county jail on county road projects. I guess it's being considered more and more places.

My favorite moderator,good old Bird. :)

I think it is a good thing to let these prisoners get out and work and burn some energy, instead of sitting inside climbing the walls and getting into fights etc. Let them work all day and when they get back to the jail at night they should sleep well from doing a days work,plus hopefully some of them will feel good about being productive.
I have seen juvenile prisoners in some of the state parks in WV building steps and walk ways etc,doing something constructive and productive.

/ West Virginia bringing prisoner work gangs back to work on the roads. #14  
What was it; "Cool hand Luke" ??:D

/ West Virginia bringing prisoner work gangs back to work on the roads. #15  
You know good and well that the inside of the cars and trucks from whence comes the trash look just like the ditches and the sides of the roads where they throw their trash! These knotheads are used to a mess, too lazy to clean up a thing, so they like having the roads look like their houses and cars. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Yes, indeed, use prison labor to clean it up. Maybe when they get back out, it's just barely possible they will remember cleaning up the mess other people made. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

In our county, they make community service workers unload trash at the dump. Always makes me want to put some raw chicken in a closed-up garbage bag and leave it out in the sun for a few days before taking it to the dump. :eek: Talk about gagging a maggot!

/ West Virginia bringing prisoner work gangs back to work on the roads.
Egon said:
What was it; "Cool hand Luke" ??:D

I was thinking about Cool Hand Luke...shakin it boss, shakin it boss......

/ West Virginia bringing prisoner work gangs back to work on the roads. #17  
What we've got here is a failure to communicate.

/ West Virginia bringing prisoner work gangs back to work on the roads. #18  
I do believe that the incidence of tossing trash out the window is directly related to IQ level. There is nothing more disgusting and reprehensible than the willful and wanton careless destruction of nature.

/ West Virginia bringing prisoner work gangs back to work on the roads. #19  
SkyPup said:
I do believe that the incidence of tossing trash out the window is directly related to IQ level. There is nothing more disgusting and reprehensible than the willful and wanton careless destruction of nature.

Mornin Skypup,
Ive got to agree 100% with you on that one ! ;) I will wake up in the mornin and look out in the fields and see some plastic wrappers or bags or some kind of garbage the wind blew up the hill and I will be out there before coffee to pick it up ! :confused: My wife thinks Im crazy, but I tell her if it gets past the fields then its up into the woods and harder to get, I just hate the thought of people spoiling something beautiful !!!

/ West Virginia bringing prisoner work gangs back to work on the roads. #20  
Arkansas has work inmate work crews, and talking to some men that did time they work love to work on the gang than set in a cell all day along.