Western Snow Plow Sell or Trade ?

/ Western Snow Plow Sell or Trade ? #1  

bdhsfz6

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5800 HST & L6060 HSTC Formerly L6060 HST B7100 HST, L2550, L3010 HST, L3430 HST
I have a Western Pro plow that I bought new in 2008. I plowed my private road with it for 4 seasons before switching to a tractor FEL plow. Although it still fits my pickup, the Western Pro has been sitting unused in the barn for a few years now.

I'm in the process of trading the pickup and am now waiting for the new truck to arrive. It could be quite a wait I'm told. The dealer offered $2K extra if I trade the truck & plow together. Considering the current market, I could likely sell the Truck & plow for more that the dealer's trade in value. I can't afford to be without a truck and, with no delivery date in sight for the new one, this isn't an option.

So the question is, do I take the $2K the dealer has offered, or sell the plow separately.

The used plow prices I've seen are all over the map and are mostly based on condition. The cutting edge is original. All I did was repaint the moldboard and put on a new set of plow shoes.

These pics aren't the best but what do you think? Should I take the $2K with the trade or sell the plow now? I realize if I wait until spring when the new truck is likely to arrive, the market value of the plow will be somewhat less.

IMG_1211b.jpg
IMG_1217b.jpg
IMG_1214b.jpg

/ Western Snow Plow Sell or Trade ? #2  
Put it on Craigslist or a plowing forum for $3,500 and see what happens (that's just for the plow and controller, not any of the truck side wiring).
You may be surprised, even this late in the season.

have nothing to lose at least

/ Western Snow Plow Sell or Trade ? #3  
If you sell privately and honestly explain to the potential buyer your situation, he/she/etc might be willing to wait for your truck to arrive. Especially if it’s exactly what they are looking for.
I have sold a few items this way.

Customer of mine just bough a Kubota 6060. Very expensive new tractor. They traded a small open station L3xxx series in on it. Dealer offered them $5,300 for it. They were offered privately for $12,300 for it. Told dealer and dealer said they’d up their trade in offer to $12,000. :sneaky:

Don’t let the dealer push you around. Tell them you will sell privately and they will up their offer.

Last edited:
   / Western Snow Plow Sell or Trade ? #4  
Your plow looks in real good condition dealer could offer more,try sell it out right.

/ Western Snow Plow Sell or Trade ? #5  
Or try to renegotiate with the dealership. You know the value of it, just be a couple grand under it for the dealers money.
But I agree, try selling the whole plow first.

/ Western Snow Plow Sell or Trade ? #6  
I've been searching for a while on Marketplace for a well designed 8' plow with a SSQA for my tractor.

I use a broad search using "snow plow" just to ensure I am seeing everything. There are a lot of old rusted junk truck plows listed for $2k plus....and I'm not far from you.

Yours is very top end based on the paint and maintenance compared to what's out there.

... //TJ

/ Western Snow Plow Sell or Trade ?
I've been searching for a while on Marketplace for a well designed 8' plow with a SSQA for my tractor.

I use a broad search using "snow plow" just to ensure I am seeing everything. There are a lot of old rusted junk truck plows listed for $2k plus....and I'm not far from you.

Yours is very top end based on the paint and maintenance compared to what's out there.

... //TJ
Thanks for the information.

The dealer wants to take a better look at it and may increase his original trade offer. I won't know much until the new truck is delivered.

/ Western Snow Plow Sell or Trade ? #8  
At least in our area the price for used blades is not very strong with most blades like yours going on CL for any where from $500.00 to $2K. But we are further south and do not have as robust a market for private owners as you probably do. Most commercial folks will probably not be interested since there are tax implications and the need for reliability is imperative.

/ Western Snow Plow Sell or Trade ? #9  
Plow prices vary with the season in the snow belt. They peak in September -November, the slide until spring and early summer when everyone is fed up with winter.

Plows go cheap without the wiring harness, switches, controllers, and truck adapters and undercarriage, especially if they aren’t the latest designs. Straight blades are rapidfalling out of favor.

Unless you are prepared to cleanly disconnect the harness, relays, and truck push bar, take the dealer’s offer and run.

/ Western Snow Plow Sell or Trade ?
Plow prices vary with the season in the snow belt. They peak in September -November, the slide until spring and early summer when everyone is fed up with winter.

Plows go cheap without the wiring harness, switches, controllers, and truck adapters and undercarriage, especially if they aren’t the latest designs. Straight blades are rapidfalling out of favor.

Unless you are prepared to cleanly disconnect the harness, relays, and truck push bar, take the dealer’s offer and run.
This is true but Western plow frames & controls were fairly standard for a period of time. Contractors wear them out and there is a "blade only" market for good used units.

For the reason you mention, I'll likely get a better price from the dealer for the complete assembly,