Wet Grinder

/ Wet Grinder #1  

GregJ

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2301/LA435FEL/BH70 ; John Deere X350
I have a Bearcat 70554 chipper/shredder and am looking a buying a wet grinder so I can sharpen my own blades. I just found a 7" wet grinder that Sears carries for $80. All others that I have looked at have been around $250. At $80 a grinder is cost justified for me. At $250 I'd have to sharpen a lot of blades. I have had poor luck with Craftsman power tools in the past, but at this price and the limited use it would get, I might try it. Just wondering if anybody has any experience with these grinders, or know of a reasonably priced good wet grinder.

Thanks,
Greg

/ Wet Grinder #2  
Greg -- I've been eyeing that unit too, but have had such utterly horrible luck with Craftsman power tools that the Makita, at three times the cost, is probably what I'll get. So far the only Craftsman power tool that has lasted me more than two years is my 3/8" drill. Bad track record!

Pete

/ Wet Grinder
You got 2 years out of a craftsman drill..... You must have gotten one of the good ones..... When I was first married I bought a Craftsman drill,circular saw,sabre saw and sander. None of them lasted 2 years. That was 27 years ago and I was just hoping that maybe things have changed.

Greg

/ Wet Grinder #4  
Greg, I came very near buying that wet grinder earlier this year, but the salesman in the local Sears store told me they'd had very poor luck with them and that he didn't think I'd like it. He said most of the buyers had returned them, but I didn't ask how many buyers that was.

/ Wet Grinder #5  
I like Craftsman hand tools but avoid the power tools, but hey, that's not why this thread was started so...

The wet grinders are nice, (not craftsman) and really like it...but!

You might want to pick up a copy of this months finewoodworking (or maybe try their web site.) They have a couple of ideas (one is an article and one is in the suggestions section for using stationary belt sanders to sharpen wood turning gouges, carving tools etc. that looks very interesting.

Good luck

Mike

/ Wet Grinder #6  
Yep, Mike, I used my stationary belt sander for sharpening metal tools more than I used it for anything else and it was a Craftsman. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Wet Grinder #7  
I bought one of the Craftsman wet grinders two years ago to sharpen the blades on my 18 HP DR Chipper. So far so good, I have sharpened them four or five times and it did a sasifactory job of sharpening while maintaining the angle. If I had a lot of sharpening to do I would probably spring for something better, however, with limited use it has been OK.
Bill

/ Wet Grinder #8  
Greg
Like others have stated. I use a belt sander to sharpen Bearcat chipper blades. The belt sander sharpened ones last as long as the brand new set I put on. I do not let them get very dull. Also, do not let them get hot when sharpening.

/ Wet Grinder
Thanks all for your posts. I do have a belt sander (an old Ryobi in need of replacement), so if I bought a new tool, maybe a belt sander would be a good purchase. A wet grinder really looks nice, because of the heat issue, but they are expensive. I just wish Craftsman could get their act together. Their hand tools are reasonably good quality. I don't know why they can't maintain the same standards for their power tools. Ron and Bird, I have a couple of questions. What type of jigs did you use to maintain the angle and what grit and type of abrasive belt do you use. I just might consider this alternative.

Thanks,
Greg

/ Wet Grinder #10  
Harbor Freight had a wet/dry grinder in their latest sale paper, I'm not looking for one so I didn't notice the price. Then again, you'll never know how long the Chinese stuff will last.